120 film question

ceemac

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This may be a dumb question. What happens at the end of the roll. I`ve never shot 120. With 35mm, you just wind it back into the canister.

This may be a dumb question. What happens at the end of the roll. I`ve never shot 120. With 35mm, you just wind it back into the canister.

120 film has a paper backing behind the entire length of the film. When you reach the end you just keep winding until all the paper is transferred to the take-up spool. A piece of tape will be waiting there for you already attached to the paper. Lick the exposed end of the tape and tape the paper down nice and tight to prevent light leaking and put the film in your camera bag.

Joe

Unless it is Fuji film in which case the paper tape is self-adhesive.

Thanks, Joe, John. I was hoping it would be something like that. Guess I`ve lived a sheltered life.

You also need to keep the spool from the roll you just shot as it will be the take-up spool for the next roll you load.

The thing about paper is, you can write on it. Write down the date, the ISO (ASA?) the general subject matter, your name and contact information.

Last edited:
And when your done processing the film you can make an airplane out of the paper and impress the neighbor kids. Win-Win.

You have to pay attention to the sticky tape to. I try to fix mine prior to pulling it out of the camera to keep it tight. If it unwinds or looses a little tension, it will expose and flare the edges. It seems to me that Fujifilm Acros is more prone to this. TriX, not so much. That has been my experience anyway.

You have to pay attention to the sticky tape to. I try to fix mine prior to pulling it out of the camera to keep it tight. If it unwinds or looses a little tension, it will expose and flare the edges. It seems to me that Fujifilm Acros is more prone to this. TriX, not so much. That has been my experience anyway.

rubber-band-250x250.jpg

Problem solved.

rubber-band-250x250.jpg

Problem solved.

Not really, I had a roll pop on me taking it out of camera, I knew it was going to be an issue. Sure enough, spent time cropping and cloning, lesson learned.

rubber-band-250x250.jpg

Problem solved.

Not really, I had a roll pop on me taking it out of camera, I knew it was going to be an issue. Sure enough, spent time cropping and cloning, lesson learned.

Then you didn't have a chance to use the sticky paper either by that point. But don't condemn it just for that reason.

rubber-band-250x250.jpg

Problem solved.

Then you didn't have a chance to use the sticky paper either by that point. But don't condemn it just for that reason.
Yes sir, I'll never do that again.

Most reactions

Back