13 Raw files into one

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Pulled over on the side of the road to try and capture the sun rays peaking over the mountain top, and blasted away about 13 raw shots (f/11 1/500) zoomed in so it added up to a bunch of pieces of a puzzle.
Then I opened them up into some pano software and blended them together, with a little contrast and clarity play, to create this 38MB shot.
It's a method I have been playing with for a bit, but never to this size.

Benefits to this: Giant print capability, greater PP crop capabilities with almost no resolution loss, amazing detail, wide angle capabilities with any lens.

Drawback- It's requires some processing power, and patience. The files are huge and the chance of software crashing in the middle of it is great.

Big-Bear-9388-Edit-X2.jpg

Yup, it's over exposed...

Stevie Wonder could've told you this was over exposed. :) Sorry you spent so much time piecing it together.

It is not OVEREXPOSED! Just the range is quite a bit high. If the OP had lowered the exposure then the hill is all dark then you two would say, it is underexposed!

OP: personally if I am really attached to the photo I would clone out the clouds and make the bright sun ray spot a lot smaller.

Is that Sunrise Highway from the 8?

Stevie Wonder could've told you this was over exposed. :) Sorry you spent so much time piecing it together.
Which part, the sun or snow you can see on the mountain under the sun? Or is it the blue sky you can see just above the blown out sun?The sun will always be "over exposed" as it's the sun.As mentioned its just kind of a high dynamic range as is, with what I thought was a pretty good balance.Not super attached, but still personally enjoy it.It's actually from highway 330 just outside of Big Bear.

It is not OVEREXPOSED! Just the range is quite a bit high. If the OP had lowered the exposure then the hill is all dark then you two would say, it is underexposed!

Saying that it isn't over-exposed because the histogram in the photo as shown isn't jammed up against the right margin isn't correct. The OP has reduced the highest tones to a very very very light grey ratehr than white, but there is no detail so that whitish blob cloud is over-exposed.

interesting shot! (overexposed.. Phooey! Goofy Noobs! lol!) Think it might do well as B&W!

OP: personally if I am really attached to the photo I would clone out the clouds and make the bright sun ray spot a lot smaller.
I thought if things was blown out so that there is no detail left than it was over exposed. If this isn't over exposed i need a new monitor...

This is a situation where HDR would've come in handy... Instead of 13 Raws, you would've had 39 since you'd be under and overexposing each part of the frame.

I thought if things was blown out so that there is no detail left than it was over exposed. If this isn't over exposed i need a new monitor...

Is one part of the photo "blown", or is the whole photo blown?
I personally see it being slightly underexposed if anything.

I do agree with the HDR comments, as that would have been ideal. But I didn't have the setup for it.

Wonderful shot, I love the light bursting down the slope. Well done!

Most reactions

Back