$15.00 Film Question

nikon90s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This might be a stuped question but today I was a shop getting some shots put onto cd when I saw some B & W film that costs over $15.00 for 24 shots. I did not look at the type but the cost of the film was like 3 times what I pay for the film I use. Anyone know why film would cost so much and is it worth it? Will I get better shots with fill that costs so much.

Wow that's a lot! Well I think the answer would really depend on what kind of film it is and what specifically makes it different. I'm gonna see if I can find some film that expensive to see what the deal is...

Of course, no amount of expensive film can make good shots out of bad or poorly exposed images.

Well the two most expensive films I found, looking through the B&W films at calumetphoto.com, are Kodak B&W High Speed Infrared and Technical Pan. These kinds of films tend to be fine grain, with high resolving power, like for using for scientific or technical stuff. So that's all I think I know right now, I could be wrong.

Also, maybe it was just marked wrong. I got this film and paper pack that was marked as 49 something, but was actually 18.18. :p

kodak infrared and tech pan are specialty films. the infrared is a grainy film, while the tech pan has a very tight grain structure,but contrast is difficult to tame.

i bulk load for a penny per frame. pay around 3 bucks for a roll if i need one. can't imagine what would cost 15, other than the two mentioned. i buy infrared and tech pan at about 10 per roll.

lol orie...i wasn't correcting anything.

the grain of the film is actually one of its appealing characteristics.

8x10 cropped to square:

hie.jpg

I know, mot. :)

That's nice! I should try that sometime. I love grain. I just shot my first roll of 3200. Got some gorgeous big grain in the one neg I've printed so far.

nikon90s said:
This might be a stuped question but today I was a shop getting some shots put onto cd when I saw some B & W film that costs over $15.00 for 24 shots. I did not look at the type but the cost of the film was like 3 times what I pay for the film I use. Anyone know why film would cost so much and is it worth it? Will I get better shots with fill that costs so much.
What black and white film costs $15 for a 24 exposure roll? Even tech pan and hie aren't that much.

I have a few 8 x 10 to pick up in a day or so and will look at what type of film that was so much was.

OK OK I went back and looked at the film it is kodak Professional HIE High speed infared film and it was 36 exp I picked one up to try it out I will let you know how it turns out. oh yea the color film in over $25.00 ouch :taped sh:

not yet but I plan on to monday. I don't have a red filter :cry: and thought I needed to set the ISO at 80 (well that is what the box tells me to set it at with no filter) but IF 200 would be better i will try it.

odd....hie never had a speed rating on the box. my current batch doesn't either.

for some reason at that price, i think you got some funky film. i'm confused.

Most reactions

Back