17-40L for portriature on crop sensor?

iNick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The only lens i currently own with my 40D is a 50 1.8 which i love but ONLY having that focal length is annoying. Im going to start doing portraiture using predominantly natural light because i really love the tones the sun provides. Natural light just seems so much more...well, natural haha. I want to emulate a 35mm on a full frame sensor so would using the 17-40 mm @22mm which would equal 35.2mm i believe give me roughly the same shot as a 35mm on FF? I also plan to use the lens as my general purpose walk around lens and use the 50 for predominantly indoor or low light use. The next lens i purchase will be an L and the 17-40 is really affordable considering the quality of the lens. Ill most likely stick with that set up for a while until i go FF and get a 35L.

On a side note, does anyone have any books or references on the subject of natural light they'd like to recommend? it would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

-Nick

35mm is not normally considered a flattering focal length for portraits, not that it can't be used. The full frame focal lengths usually considered for portraiture are 85mm, 105mm, 135 mm. Most portrait photographers usually go for either 24-70 or 70-200. But hey, just because most do one thing does not mean you have to.

'Understanding exposure' is one book frequently recommended on this forum. It's not the only one though, google can help here. Not a bad idea to search this forum and others for additional information.

Focal length is focal length Period. It has nothing to do with sensor size. If you want to get the "same look" as 35mm...................Take A Step or Two Back! Problem solved. :D

The classical portrait focal lengths are 70mm - 135mm. Doesn't matter what sensor size. Various focal lengths have particular characteristics. Wide angle lenses tend to exaggerate features, usually not a good thing for classic portraiture. Focal lengths above 70mm tend to slightly compress features, usually a desirable thing in classic portraiture. Focal lengths above 135mm are fine, but the can require some extreme working distances that some times are not practical.

If you are not interested in classical portraiture then you can do some interesting stuff with a wide angle lens, but it is not something that most people would want for the norm. A few wide angle lens shots in the mix are fine and can be fun but I think that you will find that most people want that classic portrait look as well.

The 17-40mm f4L is a good piece of glass, but slow. That it why for a very similar focal range the 16-35mm f2.8L is a lot of people choice since it is faster glass. Of course faster also means higher price. The trifecta of Canon glass is the 16-35mm f2.8L, 24-70mm f2.8L and the 70-200mm f2.8L. All great and all expensive.

'Understanding exposure' is one book frequently recommended on this forum. It's not the only one though, google can help here. Not a bad idea to search this forum and others for additional information.

Yes i love that book and read it when i first got into photography :thumbup:

If you want to get the "same look" as 35mm...................Take A Step or Two Back! Problem solved. :D

Ha! brilliant! haha but like i said, it will also be my walk around lens.

If you are not interested in classical portraiture then you can do some interesting stuff with a wide angle lens, but it is not something that most people would want for the norm. A few wide angle lens shots in the mix are fine and can be fun but I think that you will find that most people want that classic portrait look as well.

Indeed, i agree, it's not generally the desired length but i have no desire to do "standard" portraiture. I respect the craft of it but i have no desire to purchase lighting and studio equipment.

Jordan Voth is a photographer that is a big influence on me. He does amazing work with natural light and a 35L. Not that I'm trying to copy him but what can i say, the guys work is mesmerizing to me, naturally i want to be like him. Please check out his work here: (FWIW I'm not associated with him, this is not a plug for his work :greenpbl:)

Jordan Voth Photography | Fashion/Lifestyle

i have the 16-35l 24-105l and 70-200l a and use te 24-105 and love them all when you buy tink about your next lens too so you can plan for the future

Most reactions

New Topics

Back