Focus to infinity

jackiex_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I see this a lot when reading photography websites "Focus to infinity" but as yet have not found an explanation that makes any sense to me. What exactly does this mean please (in beginner's language lol).. thanks in advance. :D

set your camera's focus to Manual. Assuming you are using a SLR you then look at your lens for the focus ring and turn it until the dot is lined up with the infinity symbol 00. Or you can focus on a very distant object.

I suspect my lens doesn't have this 00 symbol then, which is why it's not making any sense to me? And why would you want to do this? In what circumstances?

*moving to beginners subection*

If you look on the lens barrel you can see the focus markings, turn the focus all the way till the sideways 8 symbol is selected (the infinity symbol) and the lens will be set to focus on infinity. In the real world that means its set to render far off subjects in focus - though note most lenses have a bar under the infinity sign because materials contract and expand with temperature changes. This the infinity focus end needs to have a range of points to take into account the fact that components will have expanded/contracted in the given environment the lens is being used in.
You can easily see when its in focus by looking through the viewfinder to see when the far off subjects come into focus.

Most reactions

Back