18-55 VR vs 18-55 II

katarina_t

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hei guys, I am new in the phptpgraphy and am buying a new camera. I am deciding between Nikon D3100 18-55 VR and D3200 II. I would really like to have a new model but I am a bit sceptic because it does not have the VR lense. How much does that affect the photography? What would you recomment me to buy?
I am on a tight budget :grumpy:

IIRC both the D3100 and D3200 came with the same VR II.

If it doesn't say that it has VR, then it might not have VR. Either I or II. If you see the items on display in a shop, you can read the notations on the lens itself, so you can see exactly what lens it is.

Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VR was added to the 18-55 lens in 2007; the VR-II model hit in 2014.

Now, it is very POSSIBLE that there are still new, 18-55 NON-VR lenses being paired up with brand new cameras, in order to make a much more-attractive, lower cost of entry price. I am going to say that based on the lens elements, 5 groups with 7 total lens elements in the earlier two models, verus 8 groups with 11 elements, that on a HIGH-megapixel camera, the newer, VR models will be better lenses than the "old" lenses, which were designed for 6- or 10-megapixel crop-body cameras that we had eight years back.

It's possible that the VR spec has also just accidentally been omitted by whoever wrote the ad copy.

For the casual user, and the person making computer- or e-mail or web-sized pictures, ANY LENS is good enough. My iPhone 4 makes good pictures for that. I buy wine that costs $7.99 a bottle. I like the effects of it as much as wine that costs $29.99 a bottle. I don't need good wine. I never have payed more than $29 for a bottle of wine, and I cringe at even paying $15 for wine because, I can't really appreicate great wine from good wine, and I don't care.

The kit as produced by Nikon for the D3200 is a VR lens. I know because it's the kit I have. The version two model, as far as I know, is offered in the D3300, not any of the other D3XXX series. Even if for some strange reason it was without VR, I would still get the D3200, as it is a much better camera.

Thank you for your answers.
So if I understand right it does not matter that much if objective is VR or not since I am a beginner and the zoom is not that big with that size of lenses?

For the 18-55mm focal length, VR might be considered optional.

As a beginner, your best path to education is to learn best camera handling procedures. Learn to hold the camera steady at all shutter speeds, and for anything longer than 1/120 second you should brace it securely or use a tripod (with the VR turned off).

For hand-holding longer lenses, I would insist on VR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back