1981 Canon Speedlite 199A External Power Supply?

Neuner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I could have sworn there was an equipment discussion place on this forum. Did something get changed?

Anyways - I've been using an old Canon Speedlite 199A Flash that I got from my Dad. I love it b/c it's very powerful. The problem is that it eats batteries like crazy and the recycle time greatly increases after each use. It appears to have an input for an external power source but I can't find anything on the web and the local shops don't know anything about it so I'm hoping someone on here can let me know. Below is a pic of the front. Towards the base are a round hole next to a slot that appear to have metal contacts in them. Is there a power adapter for this flash?

CanonSpeedlite199Afront.jpg

Thanks for all of the help!
Neuner

That's not a power socket, it's a sync socket for when you want/need to connect it to the camera with a cord.

HERE is the user manual.

Rechargeable NiMH batteries will work better than alkaline (if that's what you were using)...and they are better for the environment as well.

Also, you could probably rig up a home made, external batter pack. I've seen instructions on how to do it...somewhere :scratch:.
Basically, you rig up something to take the place of the batteries in the camera and use wires to connect that to your battery pack which can be made from battery pack holders (from Radio Shack etc). You might have to modify the battery door on the flash (cut a small hole) to let the cord through.

Seems like a lot of work of on old flash unit like this.

Oh well. Thanks for the manual. It's an oldie but a goodie. It's one of the most powerful that I've seen. I don't usually mount it on the camera but instead I use it as secondary lighting with a cheap wireless trigger. I put it on top of a flimsy P&S tripod and it makes for a quick setup when you need secondary lighting. It's also small for the light output which comes in handy for dragging around. I have been using alkaline but will grab some rechargeables to use.

The GN is 100' (30M)...that's pretty good for it's size, but not overly powerful IMO.

A 580EX, for example, has a GN of 190' (58M).

Most reactions

Back