pipeandwire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I completed a quick mod that would allow for an external 6v battery pack or ac/dc power supply for my Nikon sb-800. The mod concept would work for almost all flashes. I am building (just about done) a photobooth and wanted some long life out of my flashes without swapping batteries. Now i have the option of using a larger capacity battery or plugging it in to a 120v outlet with the right adapter.
I should mention I know this technique is not new but I haven't seen a detailed diagram or pics of the process. So I thought I would document mine and share. I would also like to mention I did do the INTERNAL MOD where you actually solder onto the sb-600 and install a female connector allowing to plug directly into the flash, however this approach is much safer and almost anyone can do it.
If you have any questions or comments I'de love to hear about it, just wanted to put my 2 cents in and thank the forum for letting me browse other subjects that I enjoyed looking thru.
Click Here to view the entire process

While I appreciate all the electronic chops it takes to achieve this,(tough for me to follow the diagrams though),I don't think I'd have the heart to do all those mods to an SB-800.
Definitely my favorite Nikon speedlight.
I'd MUCH rather mod up a bunch of $20 Vivitar 283's,including the addition of a linear potentiometer,or simply popping in a stock vari power.
Then add this.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
While I appreciate all the electronic chops it takes to achieve this,(tough for me to follow the diagrams though),I don't think I'd have the heart to do all those mods to an SB-800.
I'd MUCH rather mod up a bunch of $20 Vivitar 283's,including the addition of a linear potentiometer,or simply popping in a stock vari power.
Then add this.
the actual only mod your doing to the sb800 is the single battery door. which is extra as the 5th battery comes with the same door. the mod itself implies the steps to make it for whatever flash you want.

and i agree with you, the 800 is fantastic. i also have 5 sb600s. i did a flash test between the 2 with a meter and they practically identical except the 800 can be a commander.

I appreciate DIY as much as anyone, but why not use the existing external power port on the SB-800 and leave your battery door & compartment unmolested?

i actually tried. i really tried. i ordered the altura version from amazon that in description says sb800. however the plug end that goes into the 800 had 2 prongs on it that makes it work only on the 910. after fighting with them and sending them pics to prove it they wanted to send me another cable...... THE SAME CABLE so i just said screw it and made the mod in 25 minutes now good for external ac or dc and can still use regular 5 batteries.

Last edited:
Then add this.
the actual only mod your doing to the sb800 is the single battery door. which is extra as the 5th battery comes with the same door. the mod itself implies the steps to make it for whatever flash you want.
Gotcha.
As I said,it was tough for me to follow along on the mod from the pics.
It ain't hard for me to get lost.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back