1st attempt at waterdrop CC

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the 1st time, just trying to see if i could do this. I know, my bowl was too small, and I should have used plastic, but didn't have anything handy in black pastic. I just used clear water and a small black bowl. The first photo is my set-up, I used a white board as a reflector with the light pointing at the white board. I am going to try this again with food coloring, and make purple or something cool. This almost looks B&W, but it is not. Anyway, my first try.

Exposure time, sec: 1/200
Aperture (F): 8.00
ISO speed rating: 100
Exposure mode: Manual exposure

#1 The set-up

The waterdrop set-up by luvmyfamily1, on Flickr

#2 This is my favorite, however, I am not happy with the little water specs, looks like it was on my lens, but it was not.

Untitled by luvmyfamily1, on Flickr

#3 My 2nd favorite...almost looks like a little water shaped dolphin peaking his head and fins out of the water. I would not have been able to see this with my eye.

#4 So-so....my least favorite

Anyway, going to try this again with a container not shiney and also with purple food coloring, or mix blue and red.

Nice set-up, much more elaborate than the one I used when I did this in my kitchen sink, using colourful paper as background (not meaning for that to be reflective!). I, too, like the first best, and I, too, would have been unhappy with the specs, but happy with the light burst on the big, round, airborne drop!

When I did this, I tried to position the camera as level with the water surface as could be; it's all different. Look here (This is just one example, i.e. three pics).
I have never so far done this adding food colouring to the water...

Nice set-up, much more elaborate than the one I used when I did this in my kitchen sink, using colourful paper as background (not meaning for that to be reflective!). I, too, like the first best, and I, too, would have been unhappy with the specs, but happy with the light burst on the big, round, airborne drop!

When I did this, I tried to position the camera as level with the water surface as could be; it's all different. Look here (This is just one example, i.e. three pics).
I have never so far done this adding food colouring to the water...

Thank you for sharing those and the link! I really like the rainbowish backdrop you had. In my case, I was just trying to see if i could do it;) The white board I had served as a reflector. I am definately going to try this again with a less shiney plastic bowl and food coloring. I am amazed by what the camera could capture, but what I could not see with the naked eye. That is why I like #2 that looks sort of like a dolphin, wouldn't have been able to see that at 1/200. #1, yes the water specs drive me crazy, however if you looks closely, you can see it is caused from a waterdrop right before the other water drop going splat! :)

These are neat! :thumbup: Something I have been trying to do with little success so far. Trying with food colouring is a good idea. I have also seen some where the photog has used different white balances, e.g., tungsten to give the water a different colour. Here is a site I found with some interesting ideas on colours and the like - different coloured liquids dropped into different coloured liquids, etc. - Photographing Water Drops | Photography Mad - I look forward to seeing more of your fun with water drops.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Use clear bowl next time and put whatever color in the background. You will let in more light as well.

You see, this is where individual preference comes into play. I love the first one and particularly the little white specks because the whole photo reminds me of space and stars. The center of the ripples could be like a black hole and the drop itself is like a star or planet. I don't know but I just think it's a really cool shot. It's all in how you look at things, however. Nice job!

Most reactions

Back