1st Engagement Session (CC please) Country Boy and Girl

Montanamyst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. Thanks for taking a look. This is my first ever engagement session. I would really like some good CC. First off, I didn't charge for these pictures, so if they are horrible, at least they were free. Secondly, this is a home grown GA boy, so there was no taking the GA hat off. Had it been my choice, I would have changed his wardrobe....but....this is who he is, and that's they way both she and he wanted it. It was about 95 degrees at 8pm, so I had to edit a lot of sweat off!! So here goes.....

$DSC_0025.jpg

$DSC_0167.jpg

$DSC_0216.jpg

4. cliche I know...but they liked it.
$DSC_0281.jpg

5. just one of her that I thought was cute.

$DSC_0351.jpg

Not bad for a first (better than my first!), but that hat...Jesus...

I know...I cringed when I saw it. I even alluded to it, but the had wasn't going anywhere.

I really enjoy photo 1... There's room for technical improvement, and the girl's legs look awkward in that pose, but the scene was really charming!

P.S. I want to steal their dog.

By the way, if you'd like me to tell you what problems I see in these photos, I'd be happy to share my humble opinion with no brutality.

I know...I cringed when I saw it. I even alluded to it, but the had wasn't going anywhere.

That's pretty bad. To some people hats are wrapped up in their identity, but in most cases you just need to be stern to get them to take them off. These are engagement pictures of him and his wife. Not him, his wife, and his hat. It looks like he changed hats too! There are two different ones in this shoot. I would got pictures both with and without the hat. But in a few of his image the shadow cast on his face is not hurting your shots.

View attachment 12873

Pretty nice shot. I think it works well. That tree growing out of his head is a portraiture cardinal sin.

View attachment 12877

Nice expression and posing. Heavy shadow on face from hat, ruins the shot from a technical standpoint.

View attachment 12882

uncomfortable pose and awkward composition

View attachment 12883

I would have liked to see something a bit more creative with the sign as far as background/pose concerned to move away from the self-admitted "cliche".

View attachment 12884

Your strongest shot by far of this set. nice light.

That's pretty bad. To some people hats are wrapped up in their identity, but in most cases you just need to be stern to get them to take them off. These are engagement pictures of him and his wife. Not him, his wife, and his hat. It looks like he changed hats too! There are two different ones in this shoot. I would got pictures both with and without the hat. But in a few of his image the shadow cast on his face is not hurting your shots.

View attachment 12873

Pretty nice shot. I think it works well. That tree growing out of his head is a portraiture cardinal sin.

View attachment 12877

Nice expression and posing. Heavy shadow on face from hat, ruins the shot from a technical standpoint.

View attachment 12882

uncomfortable pose and awkward composition

View attachment 12883

I would have liked to see something a bit more creative with the sign as far as background/pose concerned to move away from the self-admitted "cliche".

View attachment 12884

Your strongest shot by far of this set. nice light.

Thanks for the advice. As the shoot went along I got a little more comfortable with directing poses. I've only shot kids in the past, so I was a little nervous! I noticed the tree after the fact. I have some good shots at the car without the tree, but this was the best one of the dog. I've got to finish up PP on the rest of the photos. Any advice as to color etc...?
I'm very slowly learning elements 10. As far as number 3, what would you change about the composition. I liked the location, but didn't feel really good about the shots. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

The first one is great, very well done for a first time shoot. I love the last one of her, minus the suitcase. For some reason people sitting on suitcases has become a trend, and it annoys the hell out of me. Why does she have a suitcase in a field? The photo would make much more sense if she were sitting on something you might find in a field, like a hay bale, or apple crate, or maybe a watering trough. The third one with the LOVE letters also strikes me as a bit contrived, especially for a GA country boy in a ball cap.

There is a lot to be said here for pre-shoot consultations. If the hat had to stay, you could have suggested that she bring a cap too for SOME of the shots. I would have had them sit side by side, back facing me, caps on both heads, and both caps backwards on their heads. Would have been cute. Maybe even saying, let's try that shot again without the hat and offer them the exclusive right to say "yes" or "no" to the hatless proofs before sharing. And then I would edit the poop out of those hatless photos to make him look awesome.

tell him if he doesnt lose the hat you are photoshopping his arch rivals team onto it and posting at the local bar.

The first one is great, very well done for a first time shoot. I love the last one of her, minus the suitcase. For some reason people sitting on suitcases has become a trend, and it annoys the hell out of me. Why does she have a suitcase in a field? The photo would make much more sense if she were sitting on something you might find in a field, like a hay bale, or apple crate, or maybe a watering trough. The third one with the LOVE letters also strikes me as a bit contrived, especially for a GA country boy in a ball cap.

Thanks for responding. To each their own about the suitcase. There was actually a liitle grass road cut into the field, but you couldn't really see it in this shot. The dog isn't their dog, he just walked up and flopped down and wouldn't move, so we added him to the shot. I later cropped the same photo and cloned his tail out. I would love to get just her back out there by herself. She loved posing for the camera. I think she is pleased with them. Thanks for responding. I thought the LOVE was a bit contrived as well, but I just wanted the practice with some props.

Thanks,

Most reactions

Back