What's new

1st newbie picture C&C

cnutco

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
1,566
Reaction score
51
Location
NE GA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a film SLR back in the day and took a lot of snap shots of my daughter growing up. Last year I took the plunge to get a DSLR. I enjoy taking pictures and I am here to learn. I will also be attending classes in the very near future.

I took some pictures of my daughters first golf match this year. Although this is not my daughter. She was too nervous and asked if I not get too close to her.

I did not realize that I still had the WB set for inside a gym... DAMN. I tried to fix the best I could in PP.

Camera: Nikon D90
Lens: Nikon 70-200MM F2.8 G ED VR II (1st shoot with this)
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 200 mm
ISO Speed: 500
Exposure Program: Shutter speed priority AE
Light Source: White Fluorescent

4436947592_4bfd0d6c03_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
I forgot to set my white balance to flash when I had my old Canon flash on my D90, so my first few pictures at a party were rather blueish. I used to shoot a film slr casually, too, so it seems I'm on a similar path as you.

I like the photo, even with knowing the tree on the right is close to the camera, it still feels like it's large enough for the woman to completely hide behind, and it adds even more depth to a shot the would usually be taken with open green to her right. Also, the colour doesn't bother me.
 
That 70-200 2.8G VR II is an amazing lens by the way!!!! you should sell the 18-200 (covers most of the range you already have) and get a 24-70.. those are the only two lenses I ever use.
 
That 70-200 2.8G VR II is an amazing lens by the way!!!! you should sell the 18-200 (covers most of the range you already have) and get a 24-70.. those are the only two lenses I ever use.

That was my thoughts too. But, If my wife or my daughter use my camera for any reason I will keep the 18 - 200 for them. I have insurance on the whole lot but i like to be safe. The 18 - 200 VR is a great lens for almost any situation for snap shots.

I do plan to get the 24 - 70 2.8 in a few months after I get a SB600 and a grip.

AND, yes this 70-200 2.8G VR II is an amazing lens! I will be shooting another golf match today with it.

Here two more from the same day above... same damn WB issue. Not as good as the first one, but I like it.

4436949060_c335c513de_b.jpg

4436948264_c3e6e0c1a9_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
You're doing great. I now always shootin RAW +JPEG. I find JPEG gives me what I need for most situaition, but have the RAW to fall back on if I need it. Especially for WB issues.

Your doing great with that lens, I have the first version, but would love the secon 70-200 2.8 for the better VR. I do a lot of stage work around 1/125 and 200mm so the VR2 would help me.
 
Not too bad, but where are the action shots?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom