1st newborn session Please C&C (heavy pics)

allison_dcp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay, so I did these for free(obviously) b/c I plan on just practicing for some time. Little dude was 8 days old. I did duplicate shots with flash/no flash. I think the ones with no flash turned out better(and I'm pretty glad too). But here are the ones out of 2 rolls of film that I am proud of. :)
1 $1BW.jpg
2$2feet.jpg
3$3.jpg
4$4.jpg
5$5BW.jpg6$6BW.jpg
7$7.jpg
8$8.jpg
9$9.jpg
10$10.jpg

Last edited:
I like that you got him smiling in 7, even if it was only gas. Nice capture, that's money there. Personally I'd crop down a bit from the top, but other than that, I like it.

Like this. It's also now in 4x5 (8x10) format, so you can print for them, which I'm sure they'd want. Or I guess you can just leave it in 4x6 (8x12) like you have it and trim it when you print it. The excess green on top doesn't do anything to the photo IMO.

$7-1.jpg

Would have loved to see a full body shot, all squished up and cute. The crops are too tight. . . but I think the captures are great! :)

I like that you got him smiling in 7, even if it was only gas. Nice capture, that's money there. Personally I'd crop down a bit from the top, but other than that, I like it.
Thank you, that does look better.

Would have loved to see a full body shot, all squished up and cute. The crops are too tight. . . but I think the captures are great! :)
I got some full body shots, but I just didnt quite like them. What do you think? This is prior to editing.$69690020.JPG$69690021.JPG$69690022.JPG

Probably some posing guidance would be helpful (but not from me! lol!). . . your babe and my "babes" are not quite the same! I like the 3rd, but the flash/light seems too strong.

Check out Jaiden Photography ( I follow her baby posing on Facebook). . . her work is pretty good! She's posted pull-back photos and mentoring type photo shots on her Facebook page.

Lighting is very harsh on the majority of shots. Some areas are very close to blown out...

One type of pose I have seen that works well, get mom or dad holding baby, use dark background for easier editing....then darken out all of it except baby and the parents hands. Be artsy of course, don't just decapitate hands. Convert to B&W, and you have a great photo.

Kinda like you did in 2, but different. lol. baby longways would be better.

I personally like newborn sessions to totally focus on the tiny fingers, wrinkles, and skin. You did that somewhat, but take it a little farther next time. Not bad for a first newborn shoot, we all have different opinions, but I like to use props for newborns, such as baskets :)

Curious...did you retouch the skin or does baby skin have no pores and texture?

Curious...did you retouch the skin or does baby skin have no pores and texture?
All I did was soften the skin a little. He had wonderful skin, no red marks or dry skin.

Not bad for your first time, they're clear and focused and the baby is adorable. I am one that likes closeups and limited props and space. These pictures imo are about the adorable baby. I like all but 7 and 10, too much flash in 7 and I want to see big sis in 10. The green blanket is not the best in color. Here's some links from my first time. I learned a great deal but the best help I got was to search here for maternity and newborn threads. I also visited many websites and just googled newborn baby images.
BTW: the full length I agree are not the best but would make great closeups if you crop in.
Fallis Fotos´s photostream on FlickeFlu
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/269932-my-materity-shoot-mia.html
Good Luck, keep shooting:thumbup:

Not bad for your first time, they're clear and focused and the baby is adorable. I am one that likes closeups and limited props and space. These pictures imo are about the adorable baby. I like all but 7 and 10, too much flash in 7 and I want to see big sis in 10. The green blanket is not the best in color. Here's some links from my first time. I learned a great deal but the best help I got was to search here for maternity and newborn threads. I also visited many websites and just googled newborn baby images.
BTW: the full length I agree are not the best but would make great closeups if you crop in.
Fallis Fotos´s photostream on FlickeFlu
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/269932-my-materity-shoot-mia.html
Good Luck, keep shooting:thumbup:

thanks for your input! I agree, I shoot film, had 2 camera(borrowed them both). It was my 1st indoor shoot, and I shot 1/2 with flash 1/2 without. The ones without the flash turned out better, but some with the flash were great pictures, so I tried to make them work. Oh and the big sis, was kinda rough, and I took what little I got.

for the body shots you want them to appear tiny not long and splayed out. If you are shooting a nakey baby I would scrunch them up into the fetal position and make sure the legs cover the boy (or girl) parts ;). You can also swaddle them so they are contained.

I think #5 is the strongest. In my opinion at least. Oh and of course the smile one, that goes without saying :)

Most reactions

Back