What's new

1st post w/ first week of photos

TheWoz

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 5, 2013
Messages
19
Reaction score
2
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I heard this is the place to post pics and get feedback. So I apologize in advanced for my highly amateur pictures.


I just introduced myself http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...271-new-here-new-photography.html#post2824455


So with that here's my first week with my first Nikon D3100 camera! What do you think? What could I do better?
Frozen Fishing line salmon fishing
icedline_zps00fa614d.jpg

Smoky mountains pioneer homes
DSC_0138.jpg

Trout streams in the smoky mountains
DSC_0046.jpg

In the cabin
jennacabin.jpg

Snow in the higher elevations
DSC_01182.jpg
 
Welcome Woz. No need for any apologies, everyone is an amateur, even those, who shoot for money, photography is not recognized as a profession. I can see, that you have a fun shooting pictures and that great, maybe you will develop competing with fishing hobby. The place to go for C&C is the gallery and for color usually people use General Gallery here:
General Gallery
See you there.
 
Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks, I'll post these over there. lol always takes me forever to figure out the layout of a new forum (fishing forums at least)
 
Sorry, but I got to be honest on these:
1. I completely don't get
2. I know what it is, but I'm not sure why it is.
3. Has a strange angle and nothing appears sharp. Possible slow shutter speed?
4. Is blown out, colors off and, again, nothing seems sharp
5. May have had the most promise, but there's the large flare taking up 1/4 of the frame. Again it doesn't appear sharp

Sorry, I try to be positive, but I don't see anything here to work with...this time.
What I can offer is, watch your shutter speed, Watch your focus and try it again.
 
Sorry, but I got to be honest on these:
1. I completely don't get
2. I know what it is, but I'm not sure why it is.
3. Has a strange angle and nothing appears sharp. Possible slow shutter speed?
4. Is blown out, colors off and, again, nothing seems sharp
5. May have had the most promise, but there's the large flare taking up 1/4 of the frame. Again it doesn't appear sharp

Sorry, I try to be positive, but I don't see anything here to work with...this time.
What I can offer is, watch your shutter speed, Watch your focus and try it again.

No worries! I'm trying to learn so the more critiques the better! No harm done :)
What do you think is causing the images not to be sharp?
 
"What do you think is causing the images not to be sharp?"

I really don't know. I looked for something in focus on any of these and everything seems overall unsharp. The closest thing to being sharp I see is the near window sash in photo 2

I would say possible camera shake on some of these, but you claim to be using a tripod.
There are tripods and then there are tripods. If you are using a flimsy tripod with longer exposures, you might as well be holding the camera. The snow covered trees should throw the camera shake theory outthe window.
 
Last edited:
I kind of like number 2, I like the idea of looking through a window and the frame of the window is sharp, but the view is too limited and that is where the eyes are going.
Do you know that you can select your focus point ? Choose which element you want in focus, It looks like you are not too sure where to focus. And for that, the tripod won't help!
 
Welcome TheWoz, like yourself I'm quite into my fishing too, its mostly sea fishing for me from the shore so though I enjoy both hobbies I'm too scared to take my good camera when I'm out. Well, that and when I go fishing I'm out to land fish so trying to do that that takes up most of my time!

Looks like you've got some reasonably composed shots, not bad at all for your first week. Here's my c&c, please take it as constructive as that's what I mean it to be

1: nice shot but it would be even better if the water on the line was in focus, and personally i'd prefer a shot that wasn't quite as set up as this. I'd much prefer if the whole shot was better focused
.
2: is ok but just a shot through a window, it lacks a central focal point and my eye is drawn way to the left and not back to the center of the frame, so for me its unbalanced. While I can understand why you took this pic I don't think it really says anything.

3: nice water effect but blurred, I'm guessing you took this hand held and for that shutter speed you need a tripod, or stable base with your camera on a timer

4: too much blur, your sky is blown out and lacks detail and would have been a bit better if you turned the camera through 90 degrees

5: for me its ok, but just a shot of snow covered trees, lacks a central focal point and sharpness and other than a bit of lens flair there's nothing of interest there. It doesn't convey the idea of me being there.

All in all I quite like your shots, so like I said take it as points to improve on!
 
Rick- For the water I was using the tripod (flimsy) with a 1/4 shutter speed and I tried some at 1 second but I felt there was too much blur with the water.
I'm trying to remember back and I think i was holding the camera for the window picture against the wall with 1/4 as well. I'll keep that in mind trying not to shake or move the camera. (I'm having a big 'dur' moment right now) The tree I was taking looking up from the car so i'm not sure. I guess it gives me an excuse to drive back down to the smokys and try again ;)

Mifleur- I didn't know that. Is there a setting for that? As far as where the eyes go....what do you mean?

Guys sorry if these questions sound dumb this is all very foreign to me.
 
You have a good eye. Photography was a good choice for expressing your vision.
 
View attachment 31354

Here's your waterfall with the odd twist removed.
TIP: Always make a mental note to check that your camera is level unless you intentionally want it angled for a special affect.
 
Rick- For the water I was using the tripod (flimsy) with a 1/4 shutter speed and I tried some at 1 second but I felt there was too much blur with the water.

Well, you posted a photo of the water that was taken with a 1 second exposure. If you left VR on, it's possible that contributed to some of the loss of sharpness.

I'm trying to remember back and I think i was holding the camera for the window picture against the wall with 1/4 as well. I'll keep that in mind trying not to shake or move the camera. (I'm having a big 'dur' moment right now) The tree I was taking looking up from the car so i'm not sure. I guess it gives me an excuse to drive back down to the smokys and try again ;)

The shot you are referring to (#2?) Was taken with a 1/60s shutter speed, and I would assume VR was used.

Mifleur- I didn't know that. Is there a setting for that? As far as where the eyes go....what do you mean?

Guys sorry if these questions sound dumb this is all very foreign to me.

What Mifleur means is that the composition of the photo leads your eyes out of the window to the frame... (I'm guessing.)
 
I have never used a Nikon D3100 but what I mean is that your camera is equipped with various focus mode, if you choose single servo (AF-S) you can choose where your focus point will be. AF-S - Single-servo AF - For stationary subjects. Focus locks when shutter-release button is pressed halfway. Shutter can only be released if camera is able to focus.
Don't let the autofocus choose for you.

I was doing that at the beginning and many of my shots were out of focus.

May be somebody that is familiar with your camera can explain how to set your camera to AF-S

"What Mifleur means is that the composition of the photo leads your eyes out of the window to the frame... (I'm guessing.)" That is right too!
 
Well, there's nothing quite like jumping in with both feet! You have chosen some of the most difficult shots to try in your first week. The results are not at all bad for your first week with the camera.

I think your focus issues can be resolved, taking each possibility one at a time.

1. Read the manual again, especially the part about the focus points, and how to select them.
2. There is a button marked "AE-L AF-L" which is used to lock either the exposure or the focus.
3. If you have installed a cheap "U-V filter", remove it.
4. If you mount your camera on a tripod, turn off the VR.
5. Use a remote shutter release, not your finger.

(edit) Oh, right! I thought that I might be forgetting something; the DOF. Thanks, guys.

6. Don't always shoot wide open unless you wish to narrow the DOF.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom