1st time renting a camera- advice

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My 20 yr old neice has gotten into photography the last 2 yrs, even took a high school class on it. We are going to NY city and thought I would rent 1 for her to use. I have a Nikon 7000 since last May with 35 prime, 11-16 Tokina, and a 70-300 5.6.
Locally, I see a few Nikons including a D70 for rent at $60 week. (Obviously need a lens with it..will mine fit? And I can rent something I have been wanting to experiment with, will we fit each other camera's?)

Is this fair, what should I watch for or ask about as a 1 st timer renting...
thanks so much!
Nancy

...get the insurance on it,for sure.I rent lenses from time to time,and always get the insurance.I think any lens that mounts on the 7000 will mount on the 70.

Renting a DSLR body is expensive! In my area its $120 PER DAY for a D800, $80 for D600 or D7000... A weekend trip (lets say 3 days) renting a D7000/D600 = $240 and thats not including insurance OR taxes.

For that price i would just buy a nice point and shoot (or even a refurb/discontinued Nikon 1 camera/lens combo). Heck, you could even sell it after the trip and get most of your money back. You don't need a DSLR to take good travel pictures (and your not hauling around a hug camera combo your worried will get broken or stolen).

*edit*
Just did a quick search...
BH has a Nikon V1 combo for $399(2 lenses) or $350(one lens)
Cameta has a J1 combo for $250.

Don't get sucked into thinking you need a DSLR :)

Unless you have specific photographic opportunities that you want to take advantage of, I think bringing/renting a high-end P&S or Micro 4/3's would be a better option. It would be smaller and lighter. $60 for a D70 is a bit steep if you ask me. If you go to LensRentals.com you could rent the D3200 or D5200 for a similar price (more with optional insurance) and get a much newer and better camera! You can also check out ATSRentals (they include insurance in their prices and only charge for business days - i.e. free weekends). A D5200 there is $77/wk (+ $20 shipping) plus whatever lenses, memory cards, etc that you want to rent.

P.S. I've rented from both companies in the past. ATS Rentals actually sent me my rental early since they had a surplus of lenses at the time!

yeah ive got to agree... if you wanted to rent a super high end camera for a
pro shoot id understand (since a high end camera can cost more than a car) but for low level rentals are not worth it

youre better off just buying a used camera... itll maybe be a little more up front but once you buy it, its yours

or, as another poster suggested, buy one used then sell it when youre back

i know nothing of the 70,but i would be interested in the shutter count,and you will need a charger.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back