Is there a 'best' lens for landscape...

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
silly question probably. I will be in the Grand Tetons for the summer. Hubby has job in maintenance and considered 'ncessary' so we will be there May 17 -Sept.

I want to make the most of my summer in a lot of ways.
I have Nikon 200-500
Tokina 11-16 2.8. (IF) DX
Nikon DX 35 1.8 G AF-S
Sigma DC 17-70 2.8-4.5. Macro
Nikon DX af-s 55-300. 4.5-5.6 G ED

Camera D7000 Nikon since 2012, my 1st digital.

(Truthfully, i don't know what some of those letter mean, but will look them up)

For mountains, valleys, and landscape photos, suggestions as to my gear? Is a 70-200 any better for landscape? ( Saw that on some YouTube video...)
Thank you as always,
Nancy

You have everything from 11mm to 500mm covered. Why do you think you need another lens for landscape?

IF = Internal Focus
DX = Nikons' crop sensor size (which is what the D7000 is)
DC = Sigma's version of Nikon's DX lenses.
AF-S : Auto-Focus Silent (meaning quieter focusing)

The 55-300 was my 1st lens I bought. On my own, my own research. It is probably not the sharpest lens and thought maybe that range could be replaced with something else?
But am just clearing the fog and trying to get more serious this summer.
Figured I would go to the experts for sound advice... :)

I like the 70-200 for detail isolation...mountain peaks. Chuches on prairies...railroad bridges. Boats in big river channels, etc. THE 55-300 WOULD be useful...at f /7.1 or at f/8 almost all lenses are decent.

So many people think wide-angle when they think of landscape, and what they often end up with are landscapes in which everything looks tiny and far away.

A few years ago the Luminous Landscape website did an article on why telephotos are the favorite lenses of many landscape photographers.

Most reactions

Back