2 Alienbee 800's, stands, umbrellas, backdrops. Am I out of my mind?

I have 2 of the 800's and I went with the generic stand for one and the heavy duty for the other b/c I also bought the large octobox. IMO the stands that come with it are in my experience sturdy enough to use if it's going to hold nothing more than a light and umbrella. At the time, I didn't have the extra money for 2 HD stands. If you can afford the extra $40 or whatever it is per stand, it's probably better to do so rather than upgrading later (just like everything else in photography....cry once instead of everytime you use it).

Great point. I'll suck it up and get two heavy duty stands...shoot, what's another $40 on a $1500 investment? Alright, about 30 minutes before they open and I order. Right now I have the "Large Softbox" selected. What reasons are there to go with the "Large Octobox" instead? Another $40 extra...

Good choice to go with the sturdier light stand. Plenty of people will even tell you to go with the air-cushion stands, because that may save you from smashing a light...but I've been OK with regular stands (knock on wood).

I agree with pretty much everything else people have said. I will mention that I have been using Cactus radio triggers ($30) with my studio lights and never had a problem. I will probably get a set of Skyports or PWs eventually, but that's more for Speedlights used at weddings. Indoors, the Cactus triggers haven't let me down.

And for $26, I'd get the bags, or else get a good case to carry them. Speedtrap & I have shot together and borrowed each other's lights...they all work great, but I keep mine in the bags and they still look like they are brand new. ;)

Good choice to go with the sturdier light stand. Plenty of people will even tell you to go with the air-cushion stands, because that may save you from smashing a light...but I've been OK with regular stands (knock on wood).

I agree with pretty much everything else people have said. I will mention that I have been using Cactus radio triggers ($30) with my studio lights and never had a problem. I will probably get a set of Skyports or PWs eventually, but that's more for Speedlights used at weddings. Indoors, the Cactus triggers haven't let me down.

And for $26, I'd get the bags, or else get a good case to carry them. Speedtrap & I have shot together and borrowed each other's lights...they all work great, but I keep mine in the bags and they still look like they are brand new. ;)

Good to hear.

I placed my order 5 minutes ago.

Alienbee.com
2 SB800's (white)
2 cases
2 13ft HD stands
1 large 32x40 foldable softbox
---
$801 shipped after student 10% discount

B&H
1 Skyport set w/ 1 transmitter, and 2 receivers
4 extra batteries for skyport receivers
1 Impact support system (collapsible, 12' from B&H) rated 4.5/5
1 "Thunder Gray" 107" x 12yard paper roll
1 "Super Black" 107" x 12yard paper roll
1 "Super White" 107" x 12yard paper roll
1 "Baby Blue" 107" x 12yard paper roll
---
$598 shipped

Total was $1,399 with everything shipped. Not too bad. Though the shipping cost was $60 from B&H, that was very cheap considering there are 4 9-foot rolls of heavy paper in there. I'm pretty excited, thanks for everyone's help! :thumbup:

Good to hear.

I placed my order 5 minutes ago.

Alienbee.com
2 SB800's (white)
2 cases
2 13ft HD stands
1 large 32x40 foldable softbox
---
$801 shipped after student 10% discount

B&H
1 Skyport set w/ 1 transmitter, and 2 receivers
4 extra batteries for skyport receivers
1 Impact support system (collapsible, 12' from B&H) rated 4.5/5
1 "Thunder Gray" 107" x 12yard paper roll
1 "Super Black" 107" x 12yard paper roll
1 "Super White" 107" x 12yard paper roll
1 "Baby Blue" 107" x 12yard paper roll
---
$598 shipped

Total was $1,399 with everything shipped. Not too bad. Though the shipping cost was $60 from B&H, that was very cheap considering there are 4 9-foot rolls of heavy paper in there. I'm pretty excited, thanks for everyone's help! :thumbup:

Weee! this is so much fun! The only change I'd have made was the "giant" softbox, but just because I have the giant one and I'm crazy about it. The large one will probably be fine. But say you can still change it, remember a larger softbox will be smoother light, even regardless of where you place it which can make shooting easier, particularly in larger areas.

Weee! this is so much fun! The only change I'd have made was the "giant" softbox, but just because I have the giant one and I'm crazy about it. The large one will probably be fine. But say you can still change it, remember a larger softbox will be smoother light, even regardless of where you place it which can make shooting easier, particularly in larger areas.

Yeah that was a major consideration. I am not sure about room space...how much I will have/need, so I will start off with this one, and I can see myself getting a second softbox in the near future, in which case I will go with a larger one if room allows.

This is fun. Don't you just love buying new stuff?

One thing, you have two lights, one softbox and no other diffusers? Ideally, two softboxes would be good but I would still have ordered an umbrella for the 2nd light. I don't think I've ever used a studio light without some sort of accessory, whether it's a softbox, umbrella, grid or background shovel etc. Besides, one umbrella is pretty cheap. I use the softbox for the main light, as close as I can get it to the subjects. Then the fill light has an umbrella and is much farther back.
And yes, bigger is better, but when you work in homes or small studios, size is a factor because you run out of height really quickly.

Yeah that was a major consideration. I am not sure about room space...how much I will have/need, so I will start off with this one, and I can see myself getting a second softbox in the near future, in which case I will go with a larger one if room allows.

Right on, well I'm quite sure you're going to be happy with it. Now that I know about they make folding lightboxes, I'm itching to get a second one!

Congrats on the purchase. I can't wait to see with some of the stuff you create with them!

Here's the deal with the folding vs non-folding softboxes.

The folding ones are very easy to set up. Slightly more involved than opening an umbrella...so it's pretty easy. The problem is that when it's folded, it still takes up a fair amount of room because the speed ring is at 90 degrees to the arms. It does come with a bag but it doesn't fold flat. A regular softbox has arms that have to be assembled and put into the speed ring etc...which takes time. But the advantage is that the arms come off and the whole thing can be laid flat.

You can't beat those Alien Bee prices, I wonder how they stack up against higher end units like Profoto. I'd love to see some shots after you get your set
If you search the internet, specifically sites like POTN...you will find a lot of people raving about them and a lot of people who don't like them. From what I can tell, the biggest short coming is that the color temp is not consistent over the power range. It's one of those things that some people won't even notice but is unacceptable for some picky pros.

Other than that, the price and quality seem to be very good. Of course, there are other brands with similar specs and prices.

the biggest short coming is that the color temp is not consistent over the power range.

I'm a guy who loves to get things right the first time, in the camera. But you know what, for $15,000 I think I'm content to let Photoshop work a little magic.

This is fun. Don't you just love buying new stuff?

One thing, you have two lights, one softbox and no other diffusers? Ideally, two softboxes would be good but I would still have ordered an umbrella for the 2nd light. I don't think I've ever used a studio light without some sort of accessory, whether it's a softbox, umbrella, grid or background shovel etc. Besides, one umbrella is pretty cheap. I use the softbox for the main light, as close as I can get it to the subjects. Then the fill light has an umbrella and is much farther back.
And yes, bigger is better, but when you work in homes or small studios, size is a factor because you run out of height really quickly.

I forgot to mention, I already have two 43" umbrellas. One white, one silver. I'll see how this size works for me, and will make any future purchases if necessary.

You can't beat those Alien Bee prices, I wonder how they stack up against higher end units like Profoto. I'd love to see some shots after you get your set. :)

You bet. I will have some fun and post photos.

I forgot to mention, I already have two 43" umbrellas. One white, one silver. I'll see how this size works for me, and will make any future purchases if necessary.
Good stuff :)

I don't understand soft-boxes. Why would anyone pay hundreds for a softbox when you can make a translucent panel for a handful of change?

You can even hover, position, and tilt it more easily - plus the diffusion amount is controllable by altering light source to panel proximity.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back