2 different firsts

IanRB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at both portraits and off camera strobes
I used my sb-600 and an ebay trigger to fire the flash. Let me know how i can do better

1. flash set directly in front of subject bounced off ceiling
3620533396_6a9da8fed8_o.jpg

2. same set up as #1
3620533208_a8a33374f6_o.jpg

3. flash set up above and camera left
3619713897_d25c941346_o.jpg

4. flash at camera left bouncing off side wall
3619713579_d5c08e0618_o.jpg

The lighting is okay at best

The light in the 3rd shot is super hard

The crops I find really unappealing

Mmm, I think with the first you got a lot of flash coming off that white wall behind. Might have helped to diffuse it and fire it more directly at him from above.

The first thing I would do is learn how to use your flash during the day.

You could do better in a few ways (off the top of my head, and to start with):

1. Placement of your subject. You're working with one light source, and that light source can only illuminate that much.

2. Get a feel for the direction of your light source. In other words be aware of the shadows that will be cast. Either shadows against walls, or shadows on the face. A light source from above for example casts horrible shadows below the nose and chin, among other places.

3. You've got to soften that light. You've got to know how much power is too much. Learn how to use the flash, and bounce it into an umbrella or use a translucent cloth (soft box).

4. Use fill in light. This could either be another strobe, or a reflector. You've got the concept of "bouncing" light, now you just gotto get some direction in that bouncing. ;)

A light source from above for example casts horrible shadows below the nose and chin, among other places.

Unless you do a butterfly light. Then that can turn really glamourous really fast; :greenpbl: well, maybe with some fill from below...but I digress.

Great points, all, Rich. *tips hat*

I think your next investment needs to be a lightstand, umbrella mount and an umbrella (I like the 33" White shoot through for subjects of 1-2 people). Getting some directional light instead of bounce light will make your photos much more dramatic. I'd also consider getting the subject away from the wall a bit to minimize the shadows.

Edit: By the way, I think I have less than 50 bucks in my lightstand, umbrella and mount. Don't need anything fancy to make it work well.

I think your next investment needs to be a lightstand, umbrella mount and an umbrella (I like the 33" White shoot through for subjects of 1-2 people). Getting some directional light instead of bounce light will make your photos much more dramatic. I'd also consider getting the subject away from the wall a bit to minimize the shadows.

Edit: By the way, I think I have less than 50 bucks in my lightstand, umbrella and mount. Don't need anything fancy to make it work well.

Oh cool I'll have to look into that for sure. Thank you

Rather than to look at investing into more equipment, I would look at learning to use what you have with its limitations.

For example, you can see no shadows from your subject on the background in photo 3 for the simple reason that he is away from the background. And you've just learned that with just one flash unit you don't pose your subject against a wall.

A very cheap way to get fill light is with a foamcore board. Either bring a friend to hold the board or find a location where you can attach the board to something (duck tape anyone?). A few pieces of wood and a sheer from some garage sale can make a decent, cheap diffusion panel.

When I started in this business, I had very little money and I had to be even more creative with my equipment then with the photos themselves. When I bought equipment it was the best because I don't believe in buying cheap tools and I sometimes had to wait quite a while until I had the money for it. The right equipment will usually make your life easier but there are, most often, ways to get around the problem. Be creative.

But before you go and invest into any equipment, even a lowly piece of foamcore board, learn about composition. Sorry to say but your photos don't show an understanding of that very basic part of an image. And a well lit but badly composed image will never be more than a badly composed image.

Start with the basics and good luck to you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back