2 fast primes or one fast zoom?

I really like primes. I really like zooms. Each have their purpose and intent. I don't have a problems with changing out lenses, but at times, in certain situations, I can't be bothered....... everything is dependant on the circumstances.

Personally, on a DX body, I prefer the 35mm over the 50mm. You have two pretty sweet lenses there which will work wonders in the uses you listed. Yeah, a zoom would make life a tad bit easier.

** I just slide into your shoes**

Keep the lenses you have (cuz they be good) and find a good enough for those other times off craigslist, used departpent, etc. If you have a external flash, that could help if you get a slower zoom to stop action.

As always, just my 2¢.

I find myself favoring my primes more and more every day. IQ is hard to beat, and the ability to control DOF, and low light performance make primes wonderful.

Just another thing to think about is the older nikon's i picked up the 35-70mm 2.8 for cheap and it has a macro function.

You could sell the 35mm and almost pick one up and then keep the 50mm.

Funny you mention it, I had a guy email me tonight offering that exact trade.

Going for about $400 on eBay.

so you'll be able to test it out for a few shots?
so...
you can trade your 35mm for the 35-70mm and keep your 50mm?
although i think the 35mm is more useful on the DX than the 50mm it's still a great deal for you (imo).
if that 35-70mm is in good condition and test well i'd definitely jump on it. just make sure you bring something that you can test out for any focus issues. and might want to bring a laptop if you have one to check out the results on a real screen.

I think he wants both in trade, which is fine with me.

35mm = $200
50mm = $100

So for $300 value I'd have his lens (Nikkor 35-70 f/2.8D), which appears to be selling for more than that right now.
Current eBay Listing

I'm sure we'll both be testing the trades, and good idea to bring something along to test the focus.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
well, that wouldn't be as good of a deal but it would still be a fair deal obviously again if the 35-70mm is in excellent shape. i'm not sure if there is anyone way to get the production date for a lens. i'd be interested to know when this lens was manufactured. as far as i know this lens was never manufactured outside of Japan but it could have been manufactured anywhere from 1987~88 to 2006.

Right now I'm leaning toward the trade, maybe when the kids are older I'll go back to primes (or at least one good portrait prime).

Right now I'm leaning toward the trade, maybe when the kids are older I'll go back to primes (or at least one good portrait prime).

as i've already stated, i'm not a fan of primes. but shooting with my friends D3 and 85mm 1.4 i know that is one combination i aspire to own.

plus the 300,400,500 and 600mm primes i want :drool:

Haha, I hear ya.

The 85mm 1.8 is in the running, I can't afford the 1.4 - at least not until the kids are older lol.

the biggest thing on that 35-70mm 2.8 is the push-pull, make sure it's solid and not all loose. Also the 35mm macro is money! I don't know if i would loose both of my primes though the 50mm comes in handy.

i'd be interested to know when this lens was manufactured. as far as i know this lens was never manufactured outside of Japan but it could have been manufactured anywhere from 1987~88 to 2006.

Did a quick look up

AF35-70/2.8 200001 - 329242 -Oct87 - Sep92
AF35-70/2.8 D 400001 - 837071 -Sep92 - 2005

Mine is a 79xxxx so i would guess mine is an 04-05 lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back