2 from tonight's sunset

Thanks for your comments everyone. I suspect the debate over digital editing has yet to see it's height, but I'd like to, if possible, keep threads with images posted in them on topic, which is commenting and critiquing the photos, and not the debating the processing used.

God knows, we've debated digital editing on this forum enough. If anyone wants to pm me, feel free, but let's end this debate.

Thank you all once again for your comments.

Digital Matt said:
if possible, keep threads with images posted in them on topic, which is commenting and critiquing the photos, and not the debating the processing used.

Although the process is always part of the photo you show ;) But I agree that this thread is not for dogmatic discussions.

And remember, if an artist's work is appreciated by actually everyone, then he most likely did produce something boring :mrgreen:

Digital Matt said:
The camera is just the beginning.

Right on! Right on!! For over 100 years people have debated whether photography is an art because the results depend so much on the limitations of the machine. Now we've finally gotten to the point where the machine gives us unlimited options to explore our artistic vision, and people want to be restricted to preconceived notions about what is allowable. We are no longer limited by the machine, only by our minds and heart.

"Straight" photography is an illusion; it's a misconception of what really happens between the point where a person decides to take a photo to the final result whether that be a hand printed, gelatin silver print from sheet film exposed in a 100 year old camera, or an inkjet print or computer display from the latest DSLRs.

A quote from Edward Steichen at the beginning of the last century:

In the very beginning, when the operator controls and regulates his time of exposure, when in the dark room the developer is mixed for detail, breath, flatness or contrast, faking has been resorted to. In fact every photograph is a fake from start to finish, a purely impersonal, unmanipulated photograph being practically impossible. When all is said, it still remains entirely a matter of degree and ability.

Digital Matt said:
I'd like to, if possible, keep threads with images posted in them on topic

I couldn't help myself. These are the first sunset photographs to excite me in years. Keep stepping past the boundries.

Ansel Adams said:
When I'm ready to make a photograph, I think I quite obviously see in my minds eye something that is not literally there in the true meaning of the word. I'm interested in something which is built up from within, rather than just extracted from without.

ksmattfish said:
I couldn't help myself. These are the first sunset photographs to excite me in years. Keep stepping past the boundries.

No problem Matt. I understand the need to reply. This topic is one of the most heavily debated in recent art history. I'm glad you like these photos. I will continue to go to that beach and record sunsets.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back