2 Lenses Not Autofocusing on D3200

jdag

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased a D3200 for my niece. The camera and 2 lenses were Nikon factory refurbished, in sealed boxes. Everything looks brand new, and the camera has just over 200 shutter actuations. The kit included the typical 18-55 and 55-200 lenses (non-VR). But here's what's odd...

1) Neither lens will autofocus on the D3200.
2) Both lenses autofocus on my D7100.
3) My lenses DO autofocus properly on the D3200 (24-120 f4 and 35mm f1.8).

My initial thought was it was the camera considering that neither lens would focus. But the fact that other lenses autofocus on the D3200, and the 2 kit lenses autofocus on the D7100, has me up in arms. I have reviewed all of the settings (AF area, A/M switch, AF assistance beam) and have cleaned the contacts on both the lenses and the camera.

Any thoughts?

Weird....you've done the basics checks and cross-checks and yet, no AF...seems odd. I would do one last thing, the 2-button reset for the D3200, which is usually holding in both the buttons/controls that have the small, green dot on them for about 45 seconds, and then see what's up. The other thing, and this is a possibility is battery power...does the D3200 have a name-brand, Nikon battery? Last thought, outside chance, I wonder if maybe these lenses were not actually refurbished, and are actually still defective.

Thanks for the ideas. The battery is Nikon branded. And the D3200 does not have a 2-button reset (per Nikon site: The D3200 and D3100 do not have a 2 button reset option. To perform a reset you need to manually choose the reset option in the Shooting Menu and the Setup menu.)

Anyhow, I did the reset, and no luck.

Just odd that these 2 lenses focus on another body, and the other lenses focus on this body.

I am just going to send it all back for replacement. I was just hoping to give it to my niece tomorrow.

This is a very perplexing situation!

Glad I am not the only person confused!

As mentioned, I will just get a full replacement and wait a few days to give it to her. I may check with a neighbor today who has a D3200 and mount these 2 lenses just for kicks.

Add'l note: I doubt that the retailer will do this, but I would not mind getting a credit to just send them the lenses. I have a EX+ 55-200 VR that's been sitting in my closet. And I would actually prefer to get my niece a 35 f1/8 instead of the 18-55 anyhow.

I can only second the 35mm f1.8 instead of the kitzoom.

Much, much more fun.

did you set your focusing to only work if you press the AF button on the back and not when you half press the shutter release?

did you set your focusing to only work if you press the AF button on the back and not when you half press the shutter release?

I checked that too...no luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back