2 new portraits

Thanks everyone. Sara, I had all the lots off yes, but the two I had on the subject. I used a black shower curtain behind her to ensure the background was solid black. The settings are based on the light; how much it is, and where it is. I meter with a Sekonic L558 R handheld meter. I move the lights often.

Digital Matt said:
Thanks Jon. I'm just using two tungsten shop lights, that I bought from Walmart. Basically just a bulb, with a cheap metal housing around it to reflect more light. I have them clamped onto two old tripods.

This alone is a great tip! I am very poor because I just bought the 350D so I can't afford even Alien Bees equipment. When I get that f/1.8 50mm, I am SO going to Walmart. I know exactly the type of lamp you mean, and it's so refreshing to see how well they can work.....and no one is the wiser. :thumbup:

Digital Matt said:
Thanks M@ko. Yes, the flare was intentional. I set that light behind her at about a 45 degree angle, so some of the light flared into the lens.
And it's working like a charm. :thumbup: I love seeing that black shirt against that black background - wonderful stuff!

Great work here, Matt. I'm a real sucker for a high key image, too.

psssst! Tell Marge to join anyways, Matt - she doesn't have to post anything unless or until she feels like it. We'd love to meet your beautiful bride! :D

nice shots matt! :hail:
would love to see the second shot prephotoshop. it has almost has a too smooth effect.
this is your wife? beautiful lady!

you do pay her for the modeling dont you? :D

Thanks Terri! :) Thank you also Kara, I did indeed print these :)

Jef and Corry, this is my wife too. She just styled herself a bit differently. I didn't photoshop the second one, other than skin softening. The first one I just added a bit more contrast and burned the background a bit to get it to full black. The background was not 100% black because of the high key exposure for the face.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back