2 questions.. BW and Home Developing

SomberVision

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok.
#1. I was in Eckerds the other day and I saw that they had Kodak B/W film. I started thinking about it and wondering how it would turn out. Any of you guys used it? How does it turn out?

#2. I want to get a home developing lab. Where would I go to get like a starter kit for this. Any sites? What kinda room do you think I would need?

Thanks
-Ric

Well it depends on what type of Kodak black and white it is. I like many others prefer the Ilford HP5 for an all purpose black and white as opposed to the tri-x.

I have seen kits on ebay, at ritz and other photo retailers for about $75. It'll get you everything you need to process (minus the chemicals in some instances). You'll need an enlarger to make prints from the negatives.

If the box of film only said "Kodak Black and White" film then it's their consumer C41(color process) BW film. If you want to develop your own you need to get a conventional process BW film (Ilford HP5 400 is a good choice to start).

There are lots of posts on this forum, books, and websites that detail the equipment necessary for a BW darkroom. A kit would be alright I'm sure, but right now it is possible to pick up used equipment for great deals. With a little research I'm sure you could equip yourself nicely for a third or less what it would cost new.

Although running water and a sink is nice, the only absolute requirement for a darkroom is that it is light proof.

I'm willing to bet (almost 100% sure) that in Eckerds the film was the consumer C-41 process B&W film. I've used it before and I liked the results. But on the other hand if you're used to high end film then you might not be happy with it.

I couldn't say for sure, but I know the Eckerd's here sells a couple of different Ilford films and some Kodachrome varieties. Eckerd here is trying to portray itself as a "photo shop" inside another store.

If yours is doing the same, you might be able to find some good quality b&w film there. It seems that they were a bit high on price, tho. I didn't pay much attention, as I was slightly sleep-deprived at the time

Most reactions

Back