2 Questions; Can a DC wear out? & I need somerecommendation for photography equipment

DLL_4ever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.studio409.ca
1) I think i remember reading this question somewhere but i forgot the answer/where to find it... so... Can a DC wear out? I baught a Panasonic DMC-LZ2 a few months ago and have taken atleast a few thousand pictures.. Is there any such thing about a camera wearing out after taking a certain amount of pictures or is that just a bunch of jibberish?

2) I would like to know what kind of photography equipment you guys recommend for a newbie who wants to start taking professional-style pictures. All i got right now is just the camera and a tripod. Is there anything else i need, or should get? (It's for taking all sorts of pictures; landscape, portraits, architecture, etc)

Thanks!

I've never heard of a digital camera 'wearing out'...I've heard of, and seen, ones that just quit for no apparent reason...or that have died from falls, bumps or exposure to water etc.

As for recomendations...what do you consider 'professional style' pictures?

A good photographer can create great images with the most basic equipment...and a buffoon with $20,000 worth of photo gear will produce crap. The best accessory I can recommend is knowledge. Take a class, or read as much as you can. Learn about exposure and how you use the camera as a tool to get what you want. Learn about composition, learn to look at things with an objective, photographic eye.

As for your equpiment...as you learn and move forward, you may find the limitations of your camera. You can either learn to work within these limitations or acquire equipment that will expand your possibilities. That's one thing I don't like about (point & shoot) cameras like yours...they have a fixed lens. I much prefer a camera with interchangeable lenses...like a typical SLR camera (film or digital).

Sorry for the vague reply...if you have any more specific questions, it would be much easier to give recommendations.

Cameras will have a recommended service time base on use; Something like 50,000 shutter releases (but varies on model/brand).

As for what you need, what do you find yourself lacking when you're out shooting?

/\ im not really sure. All i know is that when i was at Niagara Falls/Toronto a few months ago, i saw a bunch of people/photographers carrying bags full of some sort of equipment. All i had was my little dinky camera... and i was wondering what else I could need when going on a photo journey. I know the most important thing about taking good photos is skill. It (most of the time) has nothing to do with the camera or the equipment. What I meant was, is there anything that i need that would be very convenient when going on photo journeys? Im sorry i cant really give you an examle of what im talking about... Oh well.. maybe that was just a stupid question.. :)

Also, I've tried taking a photography course in my school but (im in grade 12) and apparently you need a grade 11 art/media course in order to take the photography course, and to take the grade 11 art/media course you need a grade 10 art/media course. I didnt get interested in photography until about a half-year ago so that really sucks for me. Pretty much all i can do now is just try and learn as much as I can by myself and by you guys. :)

I think the most important thing for now is developing your eye for a good shot. The more you go out and shoot, the more you'll begin to notice the things you're lacking. But don't think that you should need more than you have - I only use a camera, lens and tripod. ;)

I think it's quite likely that you'll out-grow this camera before you'll need any accessories to go with it.

Photography, like many other hobbies, is partially about collecting & using the gear and accessories. Have you been to a camera shop lately? There are thousands of accessories for all types of cameras. Everything from $2 lens caps to $12000 lenses.

Sometimes it's nice to just carry a small camera...and sometimes you want to have a bunch of your gear...so that you are prepared to take advantage of the situations you might come across.

I typically carry my main camera body (Digital SLR), a back-up film body, 4 lenses, at least one flash unit, numerous filters, remote shutter release, extra batteries, memory cards, maybe even some film. I have a mini tripod in the bag and a regular tripod with it's own bag. It's fun to have all of that gear with me on an expedition but it can be heavy and bothersome at times.

Every camera has a moving part or parts since they all have a shutter so every camera without exception will wear out at some point.
My Nikon coolpix 885's sensor went funny at around 4500 shots and had to be thrown out but my Canon Digital Rebel took around 5500 shots in a fraction of the time and was working perfectly when i sold it.

As for pro looking shots and bags full of gear - i was on holiday recently in San Francisco and went on a whale watching tour. Some people were using compacts and others even using their phone cameras while i was using my 20D with 70-200 f/2.8 L USM lens which cost more than my entire holiday!
My shots were ok on the day but at least one person commented on my equipment and thought i was a pro. It's just that i live in the UK and bought my gear so much cheaper while in the USA. What i'm saying is that bags full of gear or even good gear doesn't guarantee pro looking shots.

Actually, most digital cameras don't have a shutter...the sensor is always 'on'...that's how you get the real time preview on the LCD screen. Although, always being 'on' may be a factor in their effective life.

Digital SLR cameras do have an actual shutter like a film camera, so that is a part that can wear out...and that's why you don't get a real time view on the LCD screen.

DLL_4ever said:
1) I think i remember reading this question somewhere but i forgot the answer/where to find it... so... Can a DC wear out?
Yes it can and will, but not your current camera. It does not have a shutter at all so you can click all you want.
I baught a Panasonic DMC-LZ2 a few months ago and have taken atleast a few thousand pictures.. Is there any such thing about a camera wearing out after taking a certain amount of pictures or is that just a bunch of jibberish?
Digital Single Reflex Cameras do wear out, because you there's a shutter and a mirror which move with every shot.

I would like to know what kind of photography equipment you guys recommend for a newbie who wants to start taking professional-style pictures. All i got right now is just the camera and a tripod. Is there anything else i need, or should get? (It's for taking all sorts of pictures; landscape, portraits, architecture, etc)
Just tell us how much money you have. :wink:

Your current camera is crap. You need something with:
1) Big sensor or 35mm film
2) Total manual control: Aperture, shutter speed, simple metering mode like spot or center weighted.
3) Hot shoe for flash attachment.
4) A good tripod

You can either shoot film or digital.
Digital is better to learn with IMO
Film cameras are better built and are cheaper right now.
You want to study light and it's properties
You want to study composition and elements of design
You want to get a few reflectors for portraiture
If you start shooting film, then either shoot slide or BW. Not color.

If you want digital, then get 350D, or 10D or 20D or D70... maybe D50. Read the manual.

It's a fun hobby and there are many ways to explore it.

Ok. if you want to build a canon system over time, and then switch to digital then:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=300535&is=USA&addedTroughType=search
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ls&Q=&sku=12142&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

If you want manual film, which is cheaper and better in many cases:
Pentax K1000
Canon A-1, Canon AE-1
Any manual Nikon would probably suit you too, but I have no experience with them at all.
Prakticas can be had cheaply.

Get a 50mm prime to go with it and you're set.

Why not colour? It suits me very well.
You can... but the lab corrects your prints to make them all look the same, so you don't have the full control of the process, which is important when you're learning to expose properly.

I've gotten an FD system for 200 bucks

Canon A1 body
50/1.4 lens
28/2.8

Works like a charm

DocFrankenstein said:
You can... but the lab corrects your prints to make them all look the same, so you don't have the full control of the process, which is important when you're learning to expose properly.
Ah yes... I never thought of that (esp. as I do my own processing).

DocFrankenstein said:
Your current camera is crap.

Rather brutal!

Firstly I can certainly testify to Digicams aging my Sony has gradually become noiser, seems more and more residual charge is left on the CCD, also the autofocus has become haphazard at best often being widely off. I can only put these down to over use (and dropping!)

As for advice for equipment, the obvious necessity isto gain control, beit thru a dSLR or one of the various digicams with Aperture and Exposure control. These allow you the possibilities to alter the images to how you imagine them - without these options you are left with the compositional side of things which is a great thing to learn and start with but rapidly becomes infuriating as you look to decrease the DOF here or overexpose here to produce that perfect HiKey image..

Definately look at a cheap digicam with these variables if you can't get hold of a dSLR, I must say that despite using my digicam/dSLR crossover for many years the 350D still amazes me with options such that i would have been overwhelmed if I'd gone straight from P&S to it...

Patience and practise and an eye for aesthetics!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back