2-touch mount?

stevet1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is a 2-touch mount?
I've seen references to a 2-touch mount both within and without this context...

"SSC Breech Lock 2-touch FD mount lens."

Does that mean it requires the push of two buttons to amount and and dismount the lens?

Steve Thomas

It's nothing to do with mounting. (In your example, it's a two touch lense with an FD mount)

One touch = you have a rotating ring for focus, and to zoom to push/pull the lense in/out. I.e., you only have touch the lense once to both zoom and focus.

Two touch = you have two separate rotating rings, one for focus and one for zoom. You touch the lense once to zoom, then have to let go and touch it a second time to focus.

Last edited:
It's nothing to do with mounting. (In your example, it's a two touch lense with an FD mount)

One touch = you have a rotating ring for focus, and to zoom to push/pull the lense in/out. I.e., you only have touch the lense once to both zoom and focus.

Two touch = you have two separate rotating rings, one for focus and one for zoom. You touch the lense once to zoom, then have to let go and touch it a second time to focus.

Dacaur,

Ah.

Okay. Thanks. I had just never run across that term before and didn't know what it meant.

Steve Thomas

Sharpness a plenty, VR, light-weight, wonderful in every way. And back is very, very happy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst I have not heated the term there is quite a difference. I have two push pull zoom lens and the rest are twist.
Catches me every time when I change between the two

The breech lock on some Canon FD lenses is a metal ring at the base of the lens. When you mount the lens on a Canon FD film camera you then need to turn the metal ring to tighten it (then loosen it to detach the lens).

I think the purpose of the breech lock was to keep the lens secure so it couldn't accidently turn and start to detach from the camera. I have/had earlier screw mount lenses (other brands, not Canon) that can sometimes loosen and turn when you're focusing.

Most brands developed their own bayonet mounts like the Canon FD. I don't think the breech lock was made for very long because it's not on many of their lenses.

I don't remember offhand the breech lock being referred to as 'two touch', but apparently that was in a description wherever the OP read it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back