24" Large Format Printer Buying Help ?

scomeau1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in the market for a 24" Large Format printer that I can use rool paper with.

I have been looking at the Epson 7880 - HP 130 - HP -Z2100

The HP looks good at 1500.00 $ But has been out for a while.

The Epson 7800 is real nice but I'm dont want to spend 1200.00 if
Print Head Strike happends and I have to have the repair tech come out.

The HP Designjet Z2100 Is nice but is it going to be replaced soon ?
I like this printer because you can replace the print heads.

I'll like to hear your comment on 24" Large Format Printer and print head strikes!

Many thanks for any help you can give me in selecting my new 24" printer.

Scott
HP Designjet Z21000

you need to post this under a different forum as this is for traditional darkroom processes

I've used both the large format Epsons and HP's, including the 7800, and a 60" DesignJet. I don't like the DJ's very much. They're a nightmare to calibrate and when used heavily the colors drift (i.e. reds will turn into purples, etc) and the only way I've found to correct this is replacing the head. The Epsons are excellent for color, though IME they take a fair bit of work to print black and white well without color casts and bronzing. If you print BW with the stock inks, the color cast gets worse over time. So, if you're printing primarily in color you'd be fine with a stock Epson. For black and white I would not print on one unless you can dedicate it to a black-only ink set.

I've moved this to the Equipment forum, where you can discuss any kind, for any medium. ;)

Get the 7900 if you can afford it. Wider color gamut with the HDR inks and the 7900 & 9900 are a lot faster than the previous models - as well as other improvements (such as auto switching matte and photo blacks [both cartridges stay in the printer full-time and you just press a button to switch from matte to photo/photo to matte] - more convenient and wastes less ink). I haven't used the 7900, but the 9900 (same printer, but 44" wide instead of 24" wide) prints wonderfully even in bi-directional mode! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back