Large format "scanning" setup

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by adamhiram, May 25, 2020.

1. adamhiram

adamhiram No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Getting even closer...

I made a large black flag to cover the top by gluing a 30"x54" sheet of black seamless paper to a piece of cardboard and cut a hole in the center to shoot through.

[​IMG]
    20200716-DSC_0899a
    by adamhiram, on Flickr

The results looked about as perfect as I could hope for, with absolutely no reflection in the glass.

[​IMG]
    20200716-DSC_0903a
    by adamhiram, on Flickr

Or so I thought... I took another test shot with the blue sticker removed, and I can still see a faint dark circle in the middle where the cutout is for the camera lens. You have to stare at it for a moment to see it, but it's definitely there if you look for it.

[​IMG]
    20200716-DSC_0907a
    by adamhiram, on Flickr

So that leaves me wondering if this is the best I can do, or if there is a way to improve on this setup. Something tells me at this point that reflection will probably not be noticeable 95% of the time, but I wonder if digitizing something with solid dark colors near the center would still show it.

Some additional thoughts I had on improving this setup:
    • Raise the camera higher and use a longer lens - that will get it further away from the light source, and the inverse square law should ensure there is enough falloff to avoid illuminating the black flag or lens. However I already have my tripod height maxed out at about 4.5' and I'm already shooting at 85mm, so I'd be looking at additional equipment and standing on a stool to accomplish this.
    • Use the shift part of a tilt-shift lens to move the camera out of frame entirely. This would probably be a decent idea if I had a tilt-shift lens.
    • Shoot from an angle to keep the camera's reflection out of frame, then fix the perspective in post. This would be easy enough, and is something I occasionally do with the guided transform tool to fix vertical lines, but it seems like an unnecessary degradation of the image.
    • What about using "museum glass" that includes an anti-reflective coating? I have wondered from the start if the main problem wasn't simply that I was using the cheapest possible sheet of glass from the hardware store.
    I welcome any additional suggestions or feedback to improve and/or simplify this copy setup. I can't help but feel like I am reinventing the wheel, but I haven't had much luck finding a recipe for a "standard" setup to do this.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mike Drone

Mike Drone TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I could see it easier with peripheral vision and movement. I wonder if I would have notice if we were not told it was there. Awesome research.

3. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    See post #4. “This is a job for black duvetyne, velvet or felt.”

Seamless paper is reflective due to the smooth surface. Black duvetyne, velvet or felt have properties that reduce the light reflected off them. I have done this many times and paper will not kill reflections.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    That makes total sense, and didn't occur to me about the surface texture - I've always used black seamless for portraits when I want a black background and can't get gray to go dark enough. I remember reading your original post and thinking I could make due with what I already had available. It looks like I'll be ordering some duvetyne soon. Unfortunately I can't just walk into a fabric store and buy a yard of it right now, so I'll probably end up ordering a 5 yard roll - hopefully I get some use out of it for other projects! Thanks for the great advice and explanation.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    My first thought was black felt instead of paper...JB photo covered this idea pretty well... I used to have about an 80x80 inch piece of photo-oriented " black velvet" which was more like black wool knitted fabric.

6. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    5 yards of duvetyne on their way. I’ll check back in a week or so when I have a chance to test it out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    Here is the final setup. I used 1 yard of duvetyne fabric (technically commando cloth) across the top with a circular hole cut out of the center to fit the camera lens. It's a little more challenging to attach and position than the large cardboard sheet, but is ultimately easier to store and transport. I secured it to the softboxes using medium binder clips. I won't bother showing a photo of a black piece of construction paper, but the reflection in the glass is 100% gone.

[​IMG]
    20200729-DSC_0978a
    by adamhiram, on Flickr

One of the uses for this setup is to capture some of my kid's artwork. Sometimes it's just a drawing on 8.5x11 copy paper, other times it is in various shapes and sizes.

[​IMG]
    20200729-DSC_0965a
    by adamhiram, on Flickr

However the main reason for this setup is to digitize some older photos that can't really be captured any other way. For example, this is a photo of my father from 1958 that is approx 11x14. In this case I was able to take it out of the frame to photograph.

[​IMG]
    20200729-DSC_0949a
    by adamhiram, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    20200729-DSC_0955a
    by adamhiram, on Flickr

But there are other, more challenging pieces that are in poor shape or cannot be removed from the frame, and need to be captured as-is. The photo below is of my grandfather from 1930, and is 15x23 in a very damaged frame with glass.

[​IMG]
    20200729-DSC_0959a
    by adamhiram, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    20200729-DSC_0963a
    by adamhiram, on Flickr

And that's about it! I have a lot of these to digitize, and I appreciate the feedback and guidance in configuring this setup to be more effective and accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

There you go. Congratulations on the successful copy work.