$250 ticket for shooting on a tripod in NYC?

Paul Ron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While at Orchard Beach, a NYC public beach, I saw an amature photographer get a ticket for shooting a model (also an amature) on the sand without a permit because he was using a tripod. The park ranger said as soon as you shoot on a tripod you are considered a professional and that requires a permit in NYC... it's the law. Is this true?

Anyone know exactly what the law is on this?

I dont know.. but it is amateur, not amature :). My first reaction is, why would he need a tripod shooting a model? I dont get it. I am glad I dont live in NY!

While at Orchard Beach, a NYC public beach, I saw an amature photographer get a ticket for shooting a model (also an amature) on the sand without a permit because he was using a tripod. The park ranger said as soon as you shoot on a tripod you are considered a professional and that requires a permit in NYC... it's the law. Is this true?

Anyone know exactly what the law is on this?

I cant beleive how many stupid laws and **** you guys get into for taking pictures....., thanks god i live in canada.

Obviously the officer isn't clear on the law and issued a ticket. An intelligent person would take it to court and get it dropped. I can see if you are using a tripod on Manhatten streets where people are trying to walk/drive, it is crowded and would make a mess of traffic but on the beach, no.

According to the Mayor's Office of Film Theatre and broadcasting there is no requirement for a permit if you are shooting on a hand-held camera either in-hand or on a tripod if you don't expect to bar the public from the space.

Thus you can't rope off an area, etc.

permit6282011100809am.jpg

I'd be fighting this one in court, how stupid is that. If it is a law, I would be surprised, but then we have some pretty stupid laws in my home town as well. I find it difficut to believe that some flunky park ranger is in a position to decide who is an amateur and how a tripod makes them a professional.

Just read the post before, it makes sense. This park ranger needs to learn the rules, that's what minimum wage buys you these days.

My guess is a single call and fax to the Mayor's office will solve this.
Shooters in NYC would be advised to carry a printout of that page.

I cant beleive how many stupid laws and **** you guys get into for taking pictures....., thanks god i live in canada.

Yes, thanks to God. French fries and gravy forever!!! Major hockey riots every time Vancouver loses the Stanley cup (1994, 2011). Tim Horton's stale coffee! Oh, Canada! Bleeding from a gash.

Yes, thanks to God. French fries and gravy forever!!! Major hockey riots every time Vancouver loses the Stanley cup (1994, 2011). Tim Horton's stale coffee! Oh, Canada! Bleeding from a gash.

And to think I considered you one of the more intelligent members on this forum... My bad.

And to think I considered you one of the more intelligent members on this forum... My bad.

That's interesting I never thought he was one of the more intelligent ones on this forum, every chance he can get to bash Canada, he does. At least we can say Canada is not the world's school yard bully, we may not have the strongest military, but we show up, disasters around the world, we show up. Canada feeds the National Hockey League with the best players in the world, and Tim Hortons coffee is brewed fresh every 20minutes, although I'm not sure if it's real coffee. As for french fries and gravy, you forgot the cheese curds, Poutine, best in the world. I'm surprised that the US hasn't adopted potuine as a food they invented, it would be a great addition for the most obese country in the world.

Sweet! I have a tripod...guess I'm a pro! Now I can start charging big bux to take pictures!

Oh snap.. We had Canon vs Nikon war, Mac vs PC, full frame vs crop, and now ladies and gentlemen!!! USA vs. CA!

Nah, each country has too many goods and bads to get into an argument over it. I added my thoughts and that was it. Just the facts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back