27" Apple LED Cinema Display ...

rCOSIO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rcosiophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone have it? ... What is your review?

I recently sold my PC and older monitors and wanted to get the new 27" Apple Display, although, considering that it is $950 ....

IS IT WORTH IT?

I currently have a MacBookPro ... and like the quick connections option and size.

Thanks,

Well, its just a display. Im sure its very nice like almost everything Mac makes. Theres not a whole lot that could be wrong with it, yaddamean?

IMO, its not worth the price tag....but you gotta pay to play.

^ Haha ... thanks for the post. Yah, I feel ya ... but with so many photographers working on Mac's now these days ... I'd figure some who has the Monitor, would give some insight, as if they regret spending $1,000 on a 27" Monitor when others of same size are about $300 - $400

Yea, I mean personally I love Apple Products. I have Ipod, Iphone 3, and I got the Ipad. It's all top notch stuff. But I need my desktop to be windows, its just the OS i have grown up with haha.

But if it were me, I wouldn't buy it unless I was just sitting on loads of cash.

I haven't had any experience with the LED Cinema Displays. But I have owned the older version of display and it is awesome!

The new 27 inch iMac is basically the same thing as the cinema display, and that thing is so sweet! But for $950, I'd save up a bit more and just get the 27" display.

No, not worth it IMHO. I purchased a 30" HP display for about $1000. It's not much more and they're both IPS displays. I was using my Macbook Pro with it for a while until I built a hackintosh to edit on.

Plus the new ACDs require a specific connection, IIRC. You can buy an adapter to hook their notebooks up to a regular display, but how easy is it to connect traditional DVI connections to the ACDs? Do they make an adapter for that?

You can buy an adapter to hook their notebooks up to a regular display, but how easy is it to connect traditional DVI connections to the ACDs? Do they make an adapter for that?

As an owner of a 27" iMac, I would be inclined to agree that unless you're going in for the whole mac experience, the monitor alone is not worth it. In fact, several people I know go the opposite route and buy a Mac mini or MBP and use it with a 3rd party monitor.

Is it nice? Yeah. Is it worth almost $1k? I don't think so. That said, I thought 27" would be obnoxiously large, but I got used to it...fast.

Edit: Link to adapter.

Well, like I said, I do have the MacBookPro that I would like to connect it to, whihc, it does have a sweet one cord plug n play for MacBook's .... I just got a text from my friend at Apple, who she will give me her discount, so $849 it is now.

My plan is to purchase a MacPro tower at the end of year ... so yah, I think I want to keep it to the whole Mac experience.

You can buy an adapter to hook their notebooks up to a regular display, but how easy is it to connect traditional DVI connections to the ACDs? Do they make an adapter for that?

As an owner of a 27" iMac, I would be inclined to agree that unless you're going in for the whole mac experience, the monitor alone is not worth it. In fact, several people I know go the opposite route and buy a Mac mini or MBP and use it with a 3rd party monitor.

Is it nice? Yeah. Is it worth almost $1k? I don't think so. That said, I thought 27" would be obnoxiously large, but I got used to it...fast.

Edit: Link to adapter.

Will that work with a MBP to a 27"? The Macbooks only support up to a certain resolution and to get a MBP to work with a dual link DVI connection, you have to purchase the $100 adapter from Appla, a straight mini displayport to DVI adapter will not work. I had to buy one for my 30" HP and it was fickle to say the least. Apple's dual link DVI adapters are supposed to help with a type of hardware acceleration for larger monitors, iirc. That's why a standard adapter will not work.

My vote is to research other options and decide. Don't exclude non-Apple branded monitors. I'm all for the whole mac experience thing but there's a premium to that... and not necessarily everyone's priorities.

Apple displays and some of Dell's displays used to have the same panel (Phillips?) Is that still true?

I've got a mix of monitors attached to my PowerMac. Impossible to get them totally calibrated with each other... but hey.. what can you do.

I am a proud owner of i7 27" iMac and switched to all Mac about year and a half ago, when it comes to video/picture editing you definelty cant go wrong with the cinema display. Yeah its pricey and when you're online trying to compare to other screens out there it might be a hard sell but once its sitting on your desk you get blown away by the built quality and high definiton display. Down to every detail in the back, to all aluminum construction its really something else. The only major complain ive heard before getting it is glare since its a glossy screen but it has a lot to do with its location in the room. What I also did was install 4 LED diotes in the back to reflect of the wall and it gives it some embient lighting, highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Will that work with a MBP to a 27"? The Macbooks only support up to a certain resolution and to get a MBP to work with a dual link DVI connection, you have to purchase the $100 adapter from Appla, a straight mini displayport to DVI adapter will not work. I had to buy one for my 30" HP and it was fickle to say the least. Apple's dual link DVI adapters are supposed to help with a type of hardware acceleration for larger monitors, iirc. That's why a standard adapter will not work.

Don't know for sure....I think the $100 adapter is necessary to connect to a 30" cinema display, but I don't think it is for the 27". I'm sure a "genius" could answer definitively.

Don't know for sure....I think the $100 adapter is necessary to connect to a 30" cinema display, but I don't think it is for the 27". I'm sure a "genius" could answer definitively.

The 30" is 2560x1600 and I know the 27" is close to that.

Well, if the $100 adapter is necessary to use the thing, then IMHO, it's sooo not worth it.

Most reactions

Back