3 for C and C - coney island... fun with square crops...

syphlix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregorytran.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
rode my bike out to coney island this past weekend... wanted to take advantage of what could possibly be the last sunny > 50 degree weekend day for the next 6 months...

feel free to tell me if they suck!

#1 - i had seen a similar photo before... when i saw the line of the roof i knew i had to shoot this...
#2 - parachute jump in coney island... i really liked how the pink clouds border the structure... blue in... pink out...

#3 - dock in the water... i "orton"ed it... still undecided on whether i like it better w/ or w/out that effect but i wanted kinda that dreamy look...

thanks for your comments...

also feel free to check out and comment on the rest of the set here.. (only 9 photos total)...

1st two, don't do anything for me.
On the last one, I like the softfocus

For 3 did you bring down the clarity all the way?

Nice exercise in composing square images. I liked #2 with the pink and blue sky and the somewhat circular sky fading from blue to pink in a circular pattern that mirrored the amusement park machinery...nice use of a square formt on that one.

Shot #3 of the pier with the Orton effect...looks good. The pier's handrail being ever-so-slightly above the horizon line is interesting, and the seagull is kind of a nice element. Very formal balance in that shot.

Seeing this post and the three photos you did made me think fondly of a Hasselblad company series of brochures, and one entitled "Composing With THe Square Format," which had many very carefully selected images, all shot on the venerable 500 C series of 'Blads. It was from the 1960's, and I had the brochure for many years. Not too long ago, I picked up a copy of the book "Germany Photography Annual 1955"--and it was literally FILLED with square-format Rolleiflex and Rolleicord pictures...so your post today kind of struck a chord with me.

hah... invoking a memory of a 'blad catalog is... well... that's awesome...

TJ - i did a faux "orton effect" with PS... i've always seen this done with like... tree photos... but i thought might look nice on this one... contrast to the sharp lines and comp of the image...

made a layer w/ the image overexposed 2 stops, and another layer overexposed 1 stop... gaus. blurred the 1 stop layer and make the blend mode to multiply...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back