3 pictures need C&C and process advice

RichardsTPF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought the 24-85mm f2.8-4.0D before the CA trip. I found this glasses is a lot sharper than my previous 18-200mm. All images are SOOC. Here are a few pictures. C&c are appreciated.

#1 This a snap shot. My girlfriend wasn't cooperate, she closed her eyes and shake her head. This picture is interesting. I like the blow out white rock and blue sky as the background. She lift up her head and closed her eyes, feels like enjoy the natural scene. But her skin tone is little bit blow out. How would you process this image?
7524200856_6387df50bf_b.jpg
[/URL] DSC_0613 by RichardsFlik, on Flickr[/IMG]

#2 This picture was shot at tunnel view. I focused on the El Capitan w/ f11. Shot with varies shut speed to eliminate the highlight cloud.
7524199168_dd1d0a6f52_b.jpg
[/URL] DSC_0719 by RichardsFlik, on Flickr[/IMG]

7524199902_898bc0a77e_b.jpg
[/URL] DSC_0699 by RichardsFlik, on Flickr[/IMG]

Edit: I understand none of them are shot under good light. The sun was harsh.

#3 is excellent!

They're all gorgeous shots! I love the 1st and 2nd ones.
I took this one into ACR and increased the blacks, boosted vibrance a little, gave it a curve to pop. Pulled to PS and created a new smart object via copy which I pulled back into ACR and boosted the blacks some more then back to PS where I masked back the center so that I could get more of the further mountain in detail/color.
It's a very quick and dirty edit
$7705905330_873dd49c6e_c.jpg

Wow, excellent edit. MLeek, your quick and dirty edit is still over my head. Do you mind PM me more detail process?

Mleek, you increased black twice. What makes you do that? What fact/role the blacks play in this image?

Wow, excellent edit. MLeek, your quick and dirty edit is still over my head. Do you mind PM me more detail process?
It's not a secret! I'll share
Open in adobe camera raw.
Increase blacks to taste for the foreground of the image
Make sure you have set ACR to open to PS as a smart object (the hyper link thingy at the bottom of the ACR window)
Open to PS
Right click on the image
Create a new smart object via copy
Double click on the bottom layer of the image to take it back to ACR
INcrease blacks some more so that the background is to taste
Open back to PS
Mask over the background on the front image so that the two blend together.
When finished flatten/merge however you prefer to do it
Then adjust the levels/curve to your taste for the overall image.
Flatten/merge again and save.

Mleek, you increased black twice. What makes you do that? What fact/role the blacks play in this image?
The black level pushes up the contrast and the darker colors. Open it in acr and just play with the blacks slider and see what it does. It's the best way to learn about what you are doing in ACR.

Make sure you have set ACR to open to PS as a smart object (the hyper link thingy at the bottom of the ACR window)
Open to PS

Are you talking about this: shift + click " OPEN IMAGE" ? Sometime I click " DONE", then open it with PS. What's the difference?

I am Googling "smart object" ow, hope find some answer useful.

Edit: find this interesting:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/russell-brown-at-photoshop-world-2011-orlando/smart-object-basics/
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSB3154840-1191-47b7-BA5B-2BD8371C31D8a.html

Last edited:
At ACR, what is default button for? I first thought AUTO is auto adjustment, DEFAULT is original. Then found it is not. So what is it?

Default is the default settings ACR. ACR comes with some predefined defaults, but you can change them to whatever you find that you use on a regular basis. I use a curve that I apply to every image. Once in a while I tweak it, but it's where I start. I have removed all of the default noise removal and changed the sharpening to what I use. I have also made ACR recognize each of my cameras and apply adjustments accordingly AND according to the ISO I am using.

Smart object: At the bottom of the opened ACR window you will see a hyperlink looking thing. Click on it. In there will be a box that says "open in photoshop as a smart object" or similar.
Smart objects are smart. Hilarious, I know... They remember where they came from. When you are in PS with a smart object it remembers it came from ACR and you can take it back to PS to tweak it more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back