3 pictures of birds- i'm new be nice plz

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by toniap, Mar 16, 2012.

1. toniap

toniap TPF Noob!

$birds-toni-a-photos1.jpg $bird-family.jpg $my-bird-d.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    There's a distracting watermark in the dead middle of each pic, is that intentional?

• Like Like x 1
  3. toniap

toniap TPF Noob!

I had already saved them like that and was just uploading them how I saved them. sorry

4. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Its all good, the pics are nice. A little bit much of the green. In pic #1 a faster shutter may have helped freeze the bird if you happened to want that effect.

5. toniap

toniap TPF Noob!

thanks 2wheelphoto. wow i didn't think it would feel so scary sharing my pictures for the first time. I was thinking that the was a little to much green. thanx :)

6. J_T

J_T TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the first two, but I would crop the green one tighter around the geese if that's the subject of your photo.
    Also, the blurry bird is distracting to the first photo, but I like the black and white processing. :)
    You should clone the blurry bird out if you can. Are your photos okay to edit?

7. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #3.. get down on his level... shoot a portrait style shot. Shooting down on him, doesn't really show anything interesting....

Why do you bother watermarking your shots? Are you a PRO, and you are afraid someone is going to steal these? Or are you an amateur that thinks having a watermark makes you look like a pro?

• Like Like x 2
  8. toniap

toniap TPF Noob!

Thanks j-t. and yes they are o.k to edit. cgipson1 Or are you an amateur that thinks having a watermark makes you look like a pro? well I'm a person that is a amateur but am still
    aware that though you who may be a pro may not want these photos a amateur that may want them can. thank you

9. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The way you have your stuff watermarked would be appropriate for Professional Proofs in a Proof gallery, to hopefully ensure that the photo's weren't stolen by those with access to the proof gallery (usually only the client). Very blatant and obnoxious! A small tasteful WM in a corner might be excused!

There are a lot of people here who have been doing photography for many, many years... and produce excellent work. They don't bother watermarking.. because it intrudes into the photo (very distracting) as long at they keep the images small, and web-compressed!

Even pro's don't bother watermarking their shots usually, as long as those shots are under a certain size (hard to get a good print from those), have web compression applied to them (even harder to get a good print from)... and typically, anything truly valuable should not be posted on the internet anyway.

Many of us will not even bother doing C&C on images with a really bad watermark.. and you could miss out on some good advice and critique because of that. I am trying to give you a HINT! ;) You won't hear from me again... (at least not while you are watermarking! lol)

Trust me.. you DON'T need to watermark these! ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  10. EchoingWhisper

EchoingWhisper TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Almost everything have been said above. Watermarks distracting. #1 should have more foreground. #2 should have less green and cropped tighter #3 should be shot level with the bird's eye and lighting seems harsh.

11. toniap

toniap TPF Noob!

o.k thanks ;)

12. Joel_W

Joel_W TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Picture #1 has just too much going on. A more selective crop would really help. Try cropping down closer to the landing bird, and narrow the frame to the light pole. A faster shutter speed would have really helped with freezing the wing motion. Also a lower angle to the birds would add more interest.

Picture #2 has the subject way too small, dead center in the frame, bright green background that is very distracting, and your watermark is right over the subject. Why would you post this picture that way? Do yourself a big favor as CGibson1 alluded to, and drop the watermark for now.

Picture #3 doesn't have much going for it. Poor choice of camera angle that's doesn't add to your composition, & you cut off the tail in the process. Again, CGibson1 offered up some solid advice for improving it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012