3 Time Beard Champion Portraits + My First Homemade Painted Canvas Backdrop **new photos added

I really like how the gold diffuser and backdrop work together in the first eight. Gives it a nice earthy tone, which I prefer to the somewhat cool sterile light of the last ones.

I tried a similar approach on backdrops using a 9x12 painters canvas drop cloth. It worked but I suspect the quality of the artists canvas you used is far superior as a base.

I really like how the gold diffuser and backdrop work together in the first eight. Gives it a nice earthy tone, which I prefer to the somewhat cool sterile light of the last ones.

I tried a similar approach on backdrops using a 9x12 painters canvas drop cloth. It worked but I suspect the quality of the artists canvas you used is far superior as a base.
I agree, the gold light does really well with the backdrop; I was planning to use window lighting alone, but the MUA randomly brought the ring light and I'm glad I decided to use it.

From what I've observed, painters drop cloths are a bit flimsy in comparison, so I think they're more prone to wrinkling even after painting them. Did you prime yours? I did three coats of primer, and it really helped make the canvas more sturdy.

. Did you prime yours? I did three coats of primer, and it really helped make the canvas more sturdy.

Yes but only one coat and all the paint was stuff on hand, some which was old. I wonder how gesso would work?

. Did you prime yours? I did three coats of primer, and it really helped make the canvas more sturdy.

Yes but only one coat and all the paint was stuff on hand, some which was old. I wonder how gesso would work?
I think it's all worth experimenting with. The chances of making something unusable seems very low to me.

Love the earthy tones and the photos are amazing. Everyone did a very good job with this shoot.

@DanOstergren AWESOME SET!!!!

The only thing I can say is I wish I had a friend with a beard like that to take pictures and/or I had more hair! lol

Excellent set! Thanks for sharing the BTS shots. Interesting that her shirt reads No Photos.

All of the shots I've posted so far have only had the hair retouched, but I left the skin and clothes untouched in order to expedite photos for the client's needs. They also had a tiny amount of color toning done to them that I applied in the raw editor (ACR) as well. I'm slowly going through this set now and picking out my favorites so I can apply my full editing technique to them.
Here's the first so far:
_mg_6982_by_danostergren-dcq2bzr.jpg

I also wanted to show what the before and after looks like, just to illustrate how subtle changes have an effect on the photograph:
_mg_6982_by_danostergren-dcq6xf5.jpg

Those pics are absolutely stunning, the lighting, posing, everything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back