3 Year plan

asfixiate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Between now and 3 years from now I hope to have a very good arsenal of equipment to cover any type of event. I'm learning more and more every day so the below might sound beginner but I am avid photographer always reading and researching.

Canon EOS 5d(primary) with my Rebel XT as backup. Once I am successful I would like to have my primary and backup bodies the same cameras though.

What I would like to have is me and a colleague/partner basically go to each event so that instead of switching lenses back n fourth one goes in close and one is around the perimeter as well as always covering more than one angle.

I'm thinking for perimiter shots I go with 70-200 f/2.8(Leaning towards L series.) I use a 75-300 Kit lense now for a lot of action shots(dog park) and feel if I can cover the random shots of dogs running around I could easily cover a lot of distances at a wedding with 70-200. Plus producing a sharp image even better. What you think about this analogy?

I'm thinking for portraits and headshots I got with either 50mm f/1.4 or an 85mm f/1.4. I am currently using a 50mm f/1.8 for a lot of shots but would like to be a decent distance (within 20 feet) so I'm not breathing down anyone's necks. At a decent distance I feel I could fill the frame a bit better as well.(How far away do you normally stand from portraits.) This might be my OCD but I am extremely anal retentive when I do portait like shots and don't like a lot of permiter in my shots.

My walk around lense is leaning towards the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L. I'm reading a lot of possitive reviews about this and think its probably a must have. I could also use this as portrait lense could I not?

Obviously 3 years from now I'm going to be far more versed in photography and won't really have a lot of these questions but as of now I don't really have ways of testing all this equipment since I'm currently putting away roughtly 1,000 per month for my wedding in October.

What are your thoughts on my equipment setup above?

The only lense coverage I feel I'm lacking is before the 24-70mm. I've seen several articles as well as a few threads recommending the 10-20mm but couldn't I just stand further back with the 24-70mm?

I've seen several articles as well as a few threads recommending the 10-20mm but couldn't I just stand further back with the 24-70mm?

Several articles that are most likely talking about the 24-70 on a 1.6x crop camera.

A wide angle lens on the 5D is the Canon 17-40L.

Plus keep in mind, the 5D will not use EF-S mount lenses.

The lenses are more goals than the camera at this point. I'm not set in stone on what camera to upgrade to yet. Mainly because I don't know if a 40d is enough horsepower and if a MarkIII is overkill. 5d was in between and its acting as a filler in my budget/business plan.

The lenses are more goals than the camera at this point. I'm not set in stone on what camera to upgrade to yet. Mainly because I don't know if a 40d is enough horsepower and if a MarkIII is overkill. 5d was in between and its acting as a filler in my budget/business plan.

Well Canon may upgrade the 5D. You'll probably be paying $2500-$3500 for one.

The downside of the 5D is some of the features aren't up there with the newer cameras, but the IQ is. A lot of wedding photogs and model photogs use it.

But keep in mind, the 5D is FF and will completely change the way your lens lineup acts. A 50mm on a APS-C sensor Canon has the field of view of an 80mm lens, so a 50mm lens on a 40D will give you approximately the same field of view as an 85mm lens on the 5D.

The Sigma 10-20 won't work below 17mm on a FF sensor iirc and the Canon 10-22 is an EF-S mount. Some more info below.

FL FOV FF-----FL FOV APS-C
10mm-20mm = 16mm-32mm
17mm-40mm = 27.2-64
24mm-70mm = 38.4mm-112mm
70mm-200mm = 112mm-320mm

Trust me, the 40D lacks no horsepower. In some ways it is more useful than the 5D. It will shoot at 6.5fps as apposed to the 5D's 3fps. The 40D utilizes EF-S lenses. I personally love the 10-22mm. The 5D is full frame, whereas the 40D has the 1.6x crop factor. For doing weddings I would say you don't need more than the 40D, but if you start shooting for a magazine ad want gigantic prints then go with the 5D, but then again if you are doing that sort of work why would you not use the latest 1D? Find someone with a 40D and play with it, you'll probably like it and when you start to play with the lenses like the 10-22mm you'll love it.

In three years (less, I hope) there will be a 5D mkII or 6D or 7D ... whatever they call it, it will be an improvement over 5D and 40D.

Hope they have a 17-55 f/2.8L IS by that time - probably be in the $1500 range. That plus 70-200 f/2.8L IS should cover most normal ranges.

The 70-200 should be enough for portraits. I wouldn't get the 85 if you've already got that focal length covered with a great zoom lens.

These prices are not possible at all... so definitely are a scam.

For example, on B&H, a 5D costs 2200$ a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM costs 1700$ and the 24-70mm f/2.8L costs 1200$ all these are around 5100$ a lot more then their price of 3300$... not mentioning that they are giving a 580EX (around 500-700$), a card ca card reader tripod etc....

P.S. About the equipment, for start if you don`t have the money to buy lets say a 5D or 40D.. but a XT or XTI, but buy a very good lens a 70-200mm...

Don't mess with this kind of deals... better go for either ADORAMA or B&H.. they have the best prices and are serious shops. Or even a better advice go to your local store, even is it`s a little more expensive, you'll be able to see the equipment straight in your hands. :)

Money is not going to be a problem. The soniccamera post was just more or less me being curious.

Between now and 3 years from now I'm looking to invest around 10k in equipment. If I can limit the amount of lenses I need to lug around than I feel not only it will be more cost effective as well as less of a pain in the butt. The 3 year plan is really so I feel comfortable charging people as well. I took a 4 year hiatis from my goals due to my current career so I'm just recenlty getting back into photography again. I'm confident the customers will be happy with what I would give them now but want to get solid so I don't make any bad reputation causing mistakes.

Have
Canon Rebel XT
Canon 75-300 mm f/4 - 5.6 III
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
8 GB Ultra II CompactFlash Card

Will Have(Still working on researching the perfect equipment list)
Canon EOS 40D(x2)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM(Not sure about this one yet.)
580EX II Speedlite
Quantaray QSX 7001TM Tripod with Built-in Removable Monopod

If I can get away with taking one of the high costing L lenses from the equation I'd be good. I'm researching Tamron and Sigma as well. If the image quality is the same and the only difference is speed I would go with either. Build quality has to be equal too for them to trump Canon.

Between now and 3 years from now I'm looking to invest around 10k in equipment.

Will Have(Still working on researching the perfect equipment list)
Canon EOS 40D(x2) - $2000

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS -$1500
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L -$1000
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM(Not sure about this one yet.) -$350
580EX II Speedlite -$400
Quantaray QSX 7001TM Tripod with Built-in Removable Monopod -$Crap

:stun:

I've spent almost $5k in the past year.

Anyways. In three years there will probably be two newer generations of XXD and your list is meh. It's like a general photography kit. Decide what you want to focus on as far as the business aspect goes. If you're doing weddings, you'll probably want more than one 580EX II. If you're going to be doing portraiture and studio work, you'll probably want a decent set of studio lights. And don't skip on the tripod. You want to put a camera lens combo that cost $2500 and weighs like 7lbs total on a $20 tripod?

How is the list meh? I'm not just going to do weddings. Its going to be Advertising with freelance photography.
49.99 for the tripod but I see what you're saying. Any tripod recommendations?

I haven't looked into lighting yet.

40D is a filler value on my budget model. Since I'm not sure what will be available. I was thinking 5d range

I'll x2 the flash.

Still need filters as well.

How is the list meh? I'm not just going to do weddings. Its going to be Advertising with freelance photography.
49.99 for the tripod but I see what you're saying. Any tripod recommendations?

I haven't looked into lighting yet.

40D is a filler value on my budget model. Since I'm not sure what will be available. I was thinking 5d range

I'll x2 the flash.

Still need filters as well.

It looks like something I'd carry around if I was walking around and didn't know what to shoot.

If you want to be a serious and flexible photographer, lighting is a must. It'll add depth to your photos and make them stand out that much more.

I have three flashes for one camera. I'll probably be getting at least one more and a set of studio lights in the near future. I've spent probably over $1500 just on lighting so far and it's helped more than any fast lens could. If I were you I'd look up strobist and see what lighting can do for you.

Tripod - Bogen, Manfrotto, Slik. You don't have to buy the $700 one, but a nice sturdy well constructed tripod is about $100-$150 starting out.

Most reactions

Back