What's new

$300 to spend what to do, what to do.

flameshots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
363
Reaction score
31
Location
Atlanta, GA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I'm torn. As I said I have about $300 in hand right now but I could easily have $700 in a couple of weeks. My current camera is a digital rebel XT. at 8 mp and a very small monitor. I was considering replacing my body with an XTi or other similar body.

I know, I know, this horse has been beaten to ad nauseam but would you guys keep my current body and buy some better glass or would you go ahead and replace the body while I can. I'm leaning towards replacing the body but I just wanted to put it out to the rest of the camera world and see what you guys think.
 
Are you finding that the 8mp is limiting? ie - are you blowing up your images bigger than 16x24?
The LCD on the back won't change much with the XTI. Its not size, its quality. It will remain an unreliable way to judge your image until you hit the 50D +.

XT -> XTI I would say no.
Save for a better upgrade like to a 40D or purchase glass such as a 50mm 1.4
 
Are you finding that the 8mp is limiting? ie - are you blowing up your images bigger than 16x24?
The LCD on the back won't change much with the XTI. Its not size, its quality. It will remain an unreliable way to judge your image until you hit the 50D +.

XT -> XTI I would say no.
Save for a better upgrade like to a 40D or purchase glass such as a 50mm 1.4

I do want to print larger than that. I currently have one water fall shot that has been blown up to 24x36. I haven't noticed any grain but it is a very "busy" background so it may not be as visible.

So the larger LCD on the XTi will not make much difference? I still feel like it would be better than I have, if for nothing else to see the EXIF, HISTOGRAM better.
 
Only you know your needs. If you have a reason to upgrade, do so. Glass is usually better to get. But dont just upgrade because you can. And jumping up one generation like that won't do too much IMO
 
I appreciate the input. I think I am going to start looking for some better glass. Once you buy high quality glass you can always upgrade the body.
 
How about 50mm f/1.8 and save the rest.... see if you like shooting with a prime...


Good idea right here! or save it, save it ALL! wait till you get $1000 or so then get some really nice glass!
 
I also say avoid the body 'upgrade' you have in mind, just because its so slight. $300 is getting you in the neighborhood of the 50 1.4, which I can personally reccommend. Or as mentioned, the 1.8 is the cheaper option, I have one for sale btw ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom