30mm vs 50mm

pabst1847

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am using a D60 and would like to get a fast lens for taking shots of the kids indoors / in low light. I am considering the Sigma 30mm f1.4 vs the Nikon 50mm f1.4 AF-S. Given the 1.5X crop factor on my DX sensor, which would be the most versitile choice?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think that one would really be any more 'versatile' than the other.
I guess you could argue that the 30mm is more versatile because you can always take a wider shot and crop if needed...but if you can't back up because of the size of the room...then you might be limited by the FOV on the 50mm.
On the other hand, a longer lens will have less distortion and thus makes for a better portrait lens. Plus, the longer focal length might be good because you won't have to get as close to kids (who don't sit still).

Ive heard nothing but good about both of them. I would say if you dont have a ton of room indoors, then the 30mm will be best

Ive heard nothing but good about both of them. I would say if you dont have a ton of room indoors, then the 30mm will be best

This might be a dumb question, but don't you have that backwards? 30mm is a wider angle than a 50mm lens is. So, if he had limited space, wouldn't the 50mm be best suited for him?

This might be a dumb question, but don't you have that backwards? 30mm is a wider angle than a 50mm lens is. So, if he had limited space, wouldn't the 50mm be best suited for him?

i think what sarah meant by that was the 30mm would allow the OP to include more in his shot since it is wider than the 50mm, with the 1.5 crop sensor

If space is tight then a wider lens means the shooter doesn't have to step back as much to get the shot. A longer lens in a tight spot might mean you can't step back enough to get the shot. You normally want a wider lens when shooting indoors.

yes, the 30mm would benefit you inside or in cramped places. Just do your research on the lenses to select the optimal image quality one over versatility. I wish my 50mm lens was a bit wider, but I have never complained about the pictures it provides.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back