31 years left?

Wow...this raises a lot of questions in my mind that could easily be turned into long drawn out discussions. The main on in my mind for some reason is this: If we did conclude that it was going to hit us and we designed some sort of technology to destroy it, how would that affect us? What I mean is, if we were able to destroy this mamoth threat to the entire future of earth, would man start to get over-confident and feel invinsible? I know, weird, but it's what it made me think of.

I think the eventual plan will be to land satellites on it with booster rockets & gently nudge it away!

There is a good change it will be collected by Jupiter which has a history of cleaning the Solar system. Because of it's huge gravitational pull it tends to suck in most large bodies that pass reasonably close.

Kum-Buy-Ya, my lord, Kum-buy-ya.

Or similarily, Michael Row Your Boat Ashore, Alleluia :)

Wow. I don't wanna die in 31 years... Too much to live for :(

I can't get worked up or worry about this. i'm never gonig to do anything about it, if it hits it hits we're all done for. If not then its fine, nothing I can do nothing to worry about.

Worrying is like using a rocking chair; gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

core_17 said:
Wow...this raises a lot of questions in my mind that could easily be turned into long drawn out discussions. The main on in my mind for some reason is this: If we did conclude that it was going to hit us and we designed some sort of technology to destroy it, how would that affect us? What I mean is, if we were able to destroy this mamoth threat to the entire future of earth, would man start to get over-confident and feel invinsible? I know, weird, but it's what it made me think of.

We'll know for sure if it'll hit in 2029 when it makes its' last and closest pass! But by then it'll be too late to start to plan how to avoid it!

We are probably already too confident in Space already! It's a very tough place to exist in! In a way I kinda wish we'd focussed on building a space station on the moon rather than in orbit. Even though the different problems would be harder to overcome we would learn a lot more from it and be slightly more advanced in space travel & propulsion! Ideal for dealing with this kind of potential problem!

Daniel said:
I can't get worked up or worry about this. i'm never gonig to do anything about it, if it hits it hits we're all done for. If not then its fine, nothing I can do nothing to worry about.

Worrying is like using a rocking chair; gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.
Bingo. It's up to Mr. Jocose over there at NASA. :D Nothing I can do, I'm a musician. Maybe I'll charm it with a rhapsodic solo?

hell, im seriously scared.
But at the same time, I can hardly visualise it, I don't have the feeling it's all gonna happen... wierd.
Jocose is at NASA??? Hey, work hard there, man!

It shouldn't happen!

With advances in computing power and lots more understanding of how the solar system works, 31 years is ample time to accurately predict it's course and come up with a solution.

Over the last few years it has been given more serious credit as a threat despite the dramaticly sensationalized films!:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back