35 mm 1.8/1.4 for full frame

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been wanting to get a nice 35mm prime for my full frame but I don't want to pay a heavy price for the Nikon 35mm 1.4.

What are great third party 35mm lenses that would be sharp and quality without paying such a heavy price?

Thanks

Nikon 35mm f/2 AF-D is affordable. Sigma's 35mm f/1.4 is very sharp, and under $1,000. I believe the 35mm f/1.4 manual focus model sold under various brands (Vivitar, Hanimex, Sakar, Bower,etc.etc.) is actually pretty good--and in this case I am speaking about the "new" model, the one with the CPU chip installed, and with automatic diaphragm.

Have you tried the f/1.8?

There is some CA with the lens, but overall I don't think it is unusable.

I enjoyed it on my FF.

The 35 1.8 isn't an fx lens. It works but you have to use it pretty wide open and even then it has a decent amount of vignetting.

I have a d800e so it'll crop it down when I attach the lens but I really just want to play with a full frame 35mm. I'm going to look into the sigma 35 1.4 and see if I can fit that in my budget.

Thanks everyone!

I have the older f/2 D mount and am pretty happy with it.

The 35 1.8 isn't an fx lens. It works but you have to use it pretty wide open and even then it has a decent amount of vignetting.
You're right, the 1.4 is the FX version, and it's about $1,100 more.
As for the vignetting, it's hardly noticeable. (It's the other way around, you stop it down to remove vignetting.)

You're right, the 1.4 is the FX version, and it's about $1,100 more.
As for the vignetting, it's hardly noticeable. (It's the other way around, you stop it down to remove vignetting.)

Check this out. If you set the crop the certain way, you can get away with it. I've used it on my d700. The vignette stopped down is almost like a hard circle.

If your budget can swing it, the Sigma 35 1.4 is an absolute gem. Better in many ways than the Canikon variants and $800 cheaper.

Have you tried it? I've been looking at it but the bokeh on the nikon seems much nicer. The one on the sigma ( at least online) leaves much to be desired.

Most reactions

Back