35mm minolta xg-se

gsga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
picked this body up for $1 at a flea mkt. i don't know too much about it other than it is essentially a late 70's xg with a viewfinder upgrade... anyway, 2 questions:

--i cleaned it and the mirror inside needs to be glued back in. i'm assuming you'd (carefully) epoxy glue it, correct? anyone have any links to this type of repair?

--what lenses are compatible with this body? i'm a rangefinder man, i know little about slrs. just looking for some links to cheap (used, 2nd hand) options. or names of manufacturers/lines so i know what to search for. thanks!

The XG series uses MD mount lenses, and came out in the late seventies that 's bout all I know about them really.

*EDIT*
Wow, there is not much information about the XG-SE other than it's a black XG-1 with a different focusing screen.

thx... yeah, it's really odd. very little info. it has what i guess is the MD bayonet mount. so basically i should just look for an old MD rokkor lens? i wonder if other brands could fit?

as for the mirror, i was told at a camera shop that its "oooh, a very expensive repair", so i'm def going to DIY. would like to get this operational.

thx... yeah, it's really odd. very little info. it has what i guess is the MD bayonet mount. so basically i should just look for an old MD rokkor lens? i wonder if other brands could fit?

as for the mirror, i was told at a camera shop that its "oooh, a very expensive repair", so i'm def going to DIY. would like to get this operational.

Yeah that would be your best bet for now just to get a lens on to it, being a Minolta it's likely that there are third party lenses for it but I am not sure who?

As for the mirror, yeah they generally are expencive repairs if can be at all, from my experiance. The 45 degree angle and the mobility is critical. The mirror smack could dislodge improper repairs and lack of movement will obstruct the light to the film, generally requiring dismantaling the body and replacing the mirror unit outright.

true. hmm looking inside, the mirror holder (for lack of the correct term haha) is functioning. its not stuck, moves up and down freely. it sits in the down position and has snap to it. looks fine. i'm just not sure where to glue that mirror back in. there's a top and bottom bracket... and it seems like the mirror fits btw these pieces...and there's a lip on the bottom (back) of the mirror that i assume is where it rests on the inside of the body?

lol i guess i'll TAPE it in there and see if it lines up? and then if it looks like its oriented correctly... take it out, remove the tape, and put it back in... and epoxy! (and cross my fingers)

Most reactions

Back