35mm vs 50mm Primes

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a few primes (for full frame)
a pair of 105mm, 50mm (I`ve sold my 28mm and yet another 105 *LOL*)
My most used lens is my 105mm f1.4 and my second most used lens is my 105mm f2.8 Macro

I used to shoot a bit with my 50mm f1.4 but lately I`ve not been using it at all.

I`m wondering: is it a good idea to just sell off the 50mm and get myself a 35mm.
Sure it`s the nifty fifty but I find it simultaneous too wide and too narrow to be of much use to me.

Your thoughts...

My advice: SELL the 105 pair on Craigslist, at a low price. I'd try for $200 for the macro 105, and $500 for the 105mm f/1.4. Then, with the combined $700 or so buy 5 kegs of beer and have a massive, blow-up keg party; on Monday of the following week, take out a new credit card, and re-buy the 105/1.4 on the credit card, and make sure to buy the new 105/1.4 from the USA, so you pay the highest-possible delivery costs to Canada. Then run up as many charges as you can on the credit card, then move to Argentina and set up shop there.

yeah but i don`t like beer and I depend on both those lenses for my livelihood.

Dump the 105 F/1.4, the 50mm, pickup 85mm and a 35mm. If you keep the 50mm, then get a 28mm.
I sold off my 85mm to get the 105mm :p

yeah but i don`t like beer and I depend on both those lenses for my livelihood.

Well, what can I say? I tried to give the best advice I knew how to...

If the 50 is too wide and too narrow at the same time, sounds like a zoom is in your future. And then maybe a move to Argentina.

^^^ See, mdruziak gets it! Argentina, FTW!!!

Just ADD a 35mm to your lens collection ????

If the 50 is too wide and too narrow at the same time, sounds like a zoom is in your future. And then maybe a move to Argentina.

I do have a 24-70 f/2.8

I do have a 24-70 f/2.8

So why would you need a 35mm?

Sorry if I missed it, are you on a crop body? If you are, maybe you should look at a 17-50mm type of zoom?

I do have a 24-70 f/2.8

Sorry if I missed it, are you on a crop body? If you are, maybe you should look at a 17-50mm type of zoom?

Because the 24-70 is bloody heavy and only 2.8
Why would I put that on a crop body?
I'm musing between the sigma art and Nikon 35mm f/1.4
Also pondering the 35mm 1.8 FX

I do have a 24-70 f/2.8

Because the 24-70 is bloody heavy and only 2.8
Why would I put that on a crop body?
I'm musing between the sigma art and Nikon 35mm f/1.4
Also pondering the 35mm 1.8 FX

Yes you are right a 24-70 isn't great on a crop body.

I guess it all boils down to what kind of photography you do. If you really need the extra stop of the 35 prime, then I guess that's the answer to your question.

If you are looking to lose some weight, I understand that. I was in that exact same situation and purchased a m4/3 system including a 8mm, 14mm, 25mm and 45-100 zoom. I can carry all that stuff in a bag that would barely fit my 6D body alone. Have you considered a mirrorless kit?

Most reactions

Back