35mm Vs. 85mm

I've been debating over both lenses also. I'm looking for another portrait lens (indoor and outdoor).

You do realize that the 85 f/1.4 has very shallow depth of field wide open at the typical indoor distances, about 4 inches at 10 feet. The 35 mm is slightly better at about 26 inches at 10 feet. At 30 feet of distance, the 85 mm gives you about 3 ft of DoF at f/1.4 while the 35 mm produces over 20 feet DoF. However, a person 30 feet away does not look very big in a d700 viewfinder.

Yeah I've been looking over the DOF for both lenses in a practicle use scenario and am decidedly going to buy the 35 1st ;) The 85D does pop up used on CL from time to time for under $800 but I've never seen a used 35mm yet...so I'm saving for it's purchase.

The focal lengths of these two lenses are quite different and have different applications entirely. For the type of photography you state, I think the 35mm might be a better choice.

35mm now. Sigma 85 later. Then you'll already be halfway there for the second lens. :)

Most reactions

Back