3D Printing Photo Accessories

adamhiram

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 3d printer that I use for designing and making custom parts and tools, as well as some toys for my kid. However it wasn’t until recently that I started looking into specialized uses for photography. Please note that while I often design my own objects, I did not design the items discussed here.

One of the first soft boxes I got was a Glow 31” square soft box designed for use with a speed light. It sets up relatively quickly and is extremely compact for travel or storage, and for just $21, you really can’t go wrong. It mounts on a Godox/Flashpoint S-type bracket, but it is not Bowens mount; rather it uses the bracket more like a speed ring. That’s fine for a speed light, but introduces a challenge when working with bigger lights with a more standard Bowens mount.

Technically speaking, some lights like the AD400Pro can be mounted in an S-type bracket, but that requires replacing 4 tiny screws and is not very practical. The solution I initially went with was to pickup a metal Godox speed ring to insert into the soft box. It worked, but the ring was a little too small and thin and never really fit well.

But a few weeks ago, another photographer shared his design for a 3d printable speed ring with Bowens mount that addressed those issues. After printing and testing it, the fit is much better, it seems to hold up well, and it only used about $1.30 in material. The only catch is I used PLA, which is a type of plastic that is easy to work with, but doesn’t handle high temperatures very well. So far I haven’t had any issues, and my modeling lights are all LED, but I would not be surprised to find it warped after heavy use. Only time will tell.

20220630-DSC_6363a by adamhiram, on Flickr

Another useful 3d print I use is a lens hood for my Nikon Z 40mm f/2 lens. It’s an inexpensive compact prime, but does not come with a hood, and doesn’t even have notches or grooves to attach an optional one. However it does include 52mm front threads, which enables the use of one.

Some people have suggested using the Nikon HN-3 lens hood designed for use with their older 35mm f/1.4 AI-S lens, but it is discontinued and sells for around $20 used. There are various 3rd party options that sell for $10-30, but I figured I’d try 3d printing one first.

There were a few options, but I found this one that was designed for a Fuji lens with the same 52mm thread and similar field of view. It cost about $0.29 to print, and fit perfectly. At some point, I might make my own version that allows the use of a lens cap at the same time, but for now, it does the trick!

20220630-DSC_6364a by adamhiram, on Flickr

@adamhiram I've drooled over the ads for 3D printers, but just haven't been able to justify another toy. They are a fascinating new technology.

Just started printing some extension tubes, first one will be done in 2 hours!

Just started printing some extension tubes, first one will be done in 2 hours!
Nice! I'd love to see what gear you're using with, and more importantly, how well it works! Only drawback I can see is no electrical contacts means no aperture control on Nikon G or Z lenses.

Nice! I'd love to see what gear you're using with, and more importantly, how well it works! Only drawback I can see is no electrical contacts means no aperture control on Nikon G or Z lenses.
Yup, But it works fine with manual lenses! I shoot Nikon F most of the time, which is great because almost all my lenses can be used on both of my Nikon Cameras, Nikon FE and Nikon D7100. Here's a link to the tubes I am printing

So this thread has to do with camera accessories, but what about a whole camera? I've been wanting to finish making this for a while now, just never really did it. I have it half printed and hopefully will finish soon. Homepage | Dora Goodman Cameras

So this thread has to do with camera accessories, but what about a whole camera? I've been wanting to finish making this for a while now, just never really did it. I have it half printed and hopefully will finish soon. Homepage | Dora Goodman Cameras
A whole camera? I’m happy if I can make two parts that fit together without having to tweak tolerances and reprint 3 times!

Ok I’m in. Work has a printer we don’t use anymore, so I’m making those extension tubes and the body caps. I never seem to have enough of those for some reason. :happyblush:

Thanks for the link.

OK, finally got around to printing the tubes and some body caps.

Pros, they do work, all manual of course. Very lost cost, especially for me as I used the printer from work.

Cons, maybe it's the files I chose to download or my printer but quality is not great. Fit is worrisome, not solid, so don't trust them too much. The 20 mm and 40 mm needed some sanding on the body mount side to remove some residue to fit flat against the body. No need to have an expensive lens fall off due to a 25 cent part. Maybe I'll look around for different files and see if they are done better.

Attached are some quick shots I did. Nikon D850, Kiron 105 mm 2.8 macro. All shot at full 1:1, ISO 1000, all hand held of the same subject and position. They will probably look much better on a tripod and more care taken with focus, etc. But only way to focus is to move either the subject or the camera back and forth. All shots with tubes are at F32 and and I let the body set the shutter speed.

3d printed tubes.jpg
The tubes

105mm at 1-1.jpg
No extension tube

105mm at 1-1 with 20mm tube.jpg
20 mm tube

105mm at 1-1 with 40mm tube.jpg
40 mm tube

105mm at 1-1 with 80mm tube.jpg
80 mm tube

Last edited:
Another practical 3D print - this time it is a cover for the lens foot mount on my Nikon Z 70-200 lens. When I picked up this lens last year, I debated whether to attach my camera strap to the body or the lens, and opted to add a Kirk lens foot as an attachment point. That worked okay, but for handheld shots I just didn't like the lens foot getting in the way. So now I typically attach my camera strap to the body and flip the lens collar upside down so the lens foot mount doesn't get in the way. However I wanted something to cover it when shooting in inclement weather. A few iterations in TinkerCAD and this was the result.

The 3D printed part

20221203-DSC_7452a by adamhiram, on Flickr

The lens lens foot mounting point without the cover

20221203-DSC_7456a by adamhiram, on Flickr

The lens lens foot mounting point with the cover

20221203-DSC_7457a by adamhiram, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back