4 month's in using a point and shoot: How am I doing?

iHTCHBK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I picked up a used Canon powershot sd1000 from a buddy for Christmas and here are some of my most recent shots.Any pointers would be great Im working on getting a REAL camera soon until then enjoy my P&S.

[No tripod]
022.jpg

010-1.jpg

058.jpg

012-2.jpg

[Tripod]
(1st attempt @ moving object so ignore the camera bag! haha)
024-1-1.jpg

021-2.jpg

022-1-1.jpg

016.jpg

0044.jpg

Some fun:

031copy.jpg

036_7_8-2.jpg

024copy.jpg

[Panorama attempts]
65887.jpg

Untitled_Panorama5.jpg

Theres to many to individually comment on, but they are all pretty darn good, the only things i have to say is keep on shootin'.

wow i really like the one with that weird structure, number 9 or something i think it is

Thanks,I will keep shooting it is real fun however I do not plan to make a career out of it just have some fun.I seem to have a liking to having deeper/darker looking photo's not that it is a mistake but more of a preference.Does this really matter? or does it just make me look very terrible at taking pictures?.I know if I had a business it would but for fun I just felt like it was just my twist on the photo's.

Well, in my opinion, they are ok.

1. is an interesting idea, but there seems to be no clearly defined subject.
2-3. Cute dog... but not much else. It doesn't really speak to me as I don't know you nor the dog.
4. the sun through the branches idea is good, but, how it was done could be worked on. Nothing is in clear focus, and it seems to be somewhat underexposed.
5-7. I like the action shots, if for no other reason than what is being done is interesting. In general though, his face is underexposed, and there is a fair amount of motion blur, particularly in the last two which could be improved.
8. nice shot, probably underexposed, but one of my favorites of the set. I don't really like the branches from the top though, maybe it's just a personal preference.
9. Interesting perspective, it's really weirding me out that on the bottom left it's blue, and then bottom middle and right the sky is completely blown out. I don't know if you brought the blue in, or if you brought in a fake sky, but I would do all of the sky that way. The only problem there is that you won't have a lot of "pop" or contrast in your image.
10. looks to have motion blur, and is underexposed.

I have to go, but... my other favorite is the vertical pano. Nice sharp image, clear subject, decent colors.

Have you ever heard of CHDK?

Its a great little alternate operating system that you can put on your Canon camera for features such as being able to shoot in RAW with you P&S. There is virtually no risk or harming your camera in any sort of way.

You can check it out here: CHDK in Brief - CHDK Wiki

I looove CHDK. I think I have been using it for over a year to shoot in RAW with my Canon.

Well, in my opinion, they are ok.

1. is an interesting idea, but there seems to be no clearly defined subject.
2-3. Cute dog... but not much else. It doesn't really speak to me as I don't know you nor the dog.
4. the sun through the branches idea is good, but, how it was done could be worked on. Nothing is in clear focus, and it seems to be somewhat underexposed.
5-7. I like the action shots, if for no other reason than what is being done is interesting. In general though, his face is underexposed, and there is a fair amount of motion blur, particularly in the last two which could be improved.
8. nice shot, probably underexposed, but one of my favorites of the set. I don't really like the branches from the top though, maybe it's just a personal preference.
9. Interesting perspective, it's really weirding me out that on the bottom left it's blue, and then bottom middle and right the sky is completely blown out. I don't know if you brought the blue in, or if you brought in a fake sky, but I would do all of the sky that way. The only problem there is that you won't have a lot of "pop" or contrast in your image.
10. looks to have motion blur, and is underexposed.

I have to go, but... my other favorite is the vertical pano. Nice sharp image, clear subject, decent colors.

1= Yea I just shot the reflection of the sky in the water is all.

2&3= She finally sat still for a decent shot,the other was her just staring at some ducks.

4= Im using a point and shoot and it is really hard to get it to get that subject in clear focus.Plus I didn't have my tripod with me in that shot so it sucked plus the wind.I just tried my best with what I had that day.

5-7= These few were my first ever attempt at a moving object other than maybe a tree swaying in the wind.He is really moving fast I was really close so it was hard to get the shot so close.However I was told a trick after I took these pictures on how to focus on him.I am still waiting to try this just always busy.I am working on running dog's and other faster moving objects to better myself.

8= That shot is the only angle to get the sun w/out sitting low near the water.Again that day I had no tripod and was just shooting a beautiful day w/my little camera.

9= Yea the camera as a "my colors" option I had it on vivid blue and sometimes they tend to not work correctly and I never know until it is uploaded.But I learned my lesson relying on the my colors option w/this camera haha.But it is the real sky out city has this massive metal structure just sitting near a fountain.I'll post another picture of it under my response for you to see.Also in that particular picture the sun was behind it so it blew the blue out alot.

10= Yes the left portion of her is another fast moving picture,it was just a multiple shot and layered/masked on photoshop messing around.I basically made it for my mom and thought I'd share even though she was blurry in a portion of the picture.

Thanks for the help glad you like alittle bit of what I am doing.And as far as the vertical panorama that is one of my most complimented pictures from friends an family.It was my first attempy at a vertical and it was a nice beautiful day and it just so happened to turn out decent.

thanks again here is a further away picture of that metal structure to give an idea of it's size:

0022.jpg

0053.jpg

Its a great little alternate operating system that you can put on your Canon camera for features such as being able to shoot in RAW with you P&S. There is virtually no risk or harming your camera in any sort of way.

I looove CHDK. I think I have been using it for over a year to shoot in RAW with my Canon.

So how does it compare to your original program?.And is it reversible if I dislike or want to change back?.Also how big would the file be cause I have a 250mg and 2gb card.

Well I now have this on my camera as well..this little program actually helps alot as far as settings/options go.It has so many different things to use now thanks!.

Here is a few right after I loaded the system and went outside!

024-2.jpg

022-2.jpg

021-3.jpg

036-1.jpg

^^^Not bad bro. I know you from IA. Im Daccord93. How do you like that camera? I think by buddy in hte army has that same one, he is in Hawaii though. It looks like you get some great shots out of it!!

^^^Not bad bro. I know you from IA. Im Daccord93. How do you like that camera? I think by buddy in hte army has that same one, he is in Hawaii though. It looks like you get some great shots out of it!!

Hey whats up?.. I love this camera and now thanks to [mGeller] I enjoy it much more.He give me the heads up on that alternate program and it has so much more stuff on it.I was limited to what I could do before but now I have my hands full haha.But as far as the pictures coming out of this thing I am surprised I get what I do..Im not pro but I think with this thing I use it to it's full potential!

Hey whats up?.. I love this camera and now thanks to [mGeller] I enjoy it much more.He give me the heads up on that alternate program and it has so much more stuff on it.I was limited to what I could do before but now I have my hands full haha.But as far as the pictures coming out of this thing I am surprised I get what I do..Im not pro but I think with this thing I use it to it's full potential!

Awesome. Keep up the work. I like it. Cool dog too.

Thanks a lot mGeller. I didn't know anything about CHDK. You just told me about this. Thank you very much.

Thanks a lot mGeller. I didn't know anything about CHDK. You just told me about this. Thank you very much.

Your welcome.. not go make a thread! :lmao::lmao: :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back