40 year old glass- the 'Afghan Girl' lens

A great lens. (Portra 400 film).

9CC7367A-AD70-4380-BF6A-BA8067AD4252.jpeg

I meet Steve McCurry in 1990. We talked some while over the course of a few days. He said he used his 180mm f2.8ED lens for the Afghan Girl. There seems to be a discrepancy.

When I met him he was on a National G. shoot and his kit included 2 Nikon FM2n/MD12 bodies, 24mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4, 105mm f1.8, 180mm f2.8ED, and 300mm f4.5 (which was in hotel room). And always used Kodachrome 25 or 64.

McCurry told me he was at a refuge camp and snapped two photos of the girl then looked down at his camera when he looked up she was gone. He knew immediately he had a good shot, but not how good. He said he thought she was an angel and was obsessed to find her afterwords returning many times to locate her.

Last edited:
I meet Steve McCurry in 1990. We talked some while over the course of a few days. He said he used his 180mm f2.8ED lens for the Afghan Girl. There seems to be a discrepancy.

When I met him he was on a National G. shoot and his kit included 2 Nikon FM2n/MD12 bodies, 24mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4, 105mm f1.8, 180mm f2.8ED, and 300mm f4.5 (which was in hotel room). And always used Kodachrome 25 or 100.

McCurry told me he was at a refuge camp and snapped two photos of the girl then looked down at his camera when he looked up she was gone. He knew immediately he had a good shot, but not how good. He said he thought she was an angel and was obsessed to find her afterwords returning many times to locate her.
That is amazing! OK- now I need a 180 f2.8, LOL!!

When I met him he was on a National G. shoot and his kit included 2 Nikon FM2n/MD12 bodies, 24mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4, 105mm f1.8, 180mm f2.8ED, and 300mm f4.5 (which was in hotel room). And always used Kodachrome 25 or 100.

BTW, I really, really really miss Kodachrome. What a great film it was.

McCurry mentioned that every year he got new camera bodies from National G. and his lenses would last a couple of years. He never used protective filters and his 180mm had a big nick on the front element. Talk about equipment being nothing but a tool.

McCurry mentioned that every year he got new camera bodies from National G. and his lenses would last a couple of years. He never used protective filters and his 180mm had a big nick on the front element. Talk about equipment being nothing but a tool.
I know, right?? What an amazing ride he must have taken with NG.

When I met him he was on a National G. shoot and his kit included 2 Nikon FM2n/MD12 bodies, 24mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4, 105mm f1.8, 180mm f2.8ED, and 300mm f4.5 (which was in hotel room). And always used Kodachrome 25 or 64.

Interesting. When I spoke with McCurry, he told me that he used the 105 f/2.5 glass for the Afghan Girl image.

Interesting. When I spoke with McCurry, he told me that he used the 105 f/2.5 glass for the Afghan Girl image.
There does seem to be a discrepancy. He also had the 105mm f1.8 lens in his bag along with the 180mm.

I use the original pre-AI version. Love it. Attached image shot on Portra 400 film.
730DA584-1CE6-4397-A0A7-87125395CEFE.jpeg

Just because it is "old" glass does not mean it is still not outstanding glass. Nikon built its reputation as the finest 35mm company in history due in great measure to their outstanding Nikkors. All 31 of my Nikkors, from 8mm f/2.8 fisheye to 600mm f/4 Super Telephoto are non-AI/AI/AIS Nikkors. All are outstanding performers. The older non-AI's have some issues associated with single coatings instead of NIC, but as long as you are conscious of position of the sun or bright lights they still produce terrific images. Wide open, the old 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor S has some spherical aberration, but it makes fantastic soft-focus portraits. From f/2 onward, the SA disappears.

As for the 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor, its reputation is legendary for a reason. It is a superb lens from the word go, even in the non-AI configuration.

I use the original, first edition of the Nikon 105 f/2.5 glass on my D780.

Attachments

• B7A0AD10-348F-4DB3-B7EE-A4B191DFE048.jpeg
    B7A0AD10-348F-4DB3-B7EE-A4B191DFE048.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42

Interesting. He told me that he used his 105 lens. 🤔

Most reactions

Back