What's new

40d or tamron 17-50

MattK0138

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 1, 2011
Messages
111
Reaction score
7
Location
Ocean View
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can't decide what to do. If you have advise chime in. I have a 500.00 budget. I have a rebel xt with 18-55 and 55-250. I like to do light painting etc which is tough as the iso isn't great with the xt. I was planning on getting lenses then upgrading bodies but now I am having trouble deciding as it will be at least a year before I can spend any more on equip. Would you go with the 40 or the lense?
 
MattK0138 said:
Can't decide what to do. If you have advise chime in. I have a 500.00 budget. I have a rebel xt with 18-55 and 55-250. I like to do light painting etc which is tough as the iso isn't great with the xt. I was planning on getting lenses then upgrading bodies but now I am having trouble deciding as it will be at least a year before I can spend any more on equip. Would you go with the 40 or the lense?

I would get the lens and wait till you can afford to upgrade to a 50D 60D or 7D.
 
Why do you need high ISO for light painting? It's that usually done with the camera on a tripod?
 
Can't decide what to do. If you have advise chime in. I have a 500.00 budget. I have a rebel xt with 18-55 and 55-250. I like to do light painting etc which is tough as the iso isn't great with the xt. I was planning on getting lenses then upgrading bodies but now I am having trouble deciding as it will be at least a year before I can spend any more on equip. Would you go with the 40 or the lense?
Just a heads-up: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/257684-notice-use-beginners-forum.html
 
What do you like shooting other than light painting? The 40D and the fast lens, shouldn't have much relevance on light painting so it doesn't help us to help you decide. If I were going to buy a camera body in your price range, I would probably look for a used Rebel T2i instead ( Higher ISO, better Image quality, higher resolution plus video if that interests you). As for the lens, I am sure it would be an improvement to the kit lens in terms of IQ, but not really of a huge benefit otherwise.
 
Sorry haven't been on in awhile didn't know I couldn't post this here. I should clarify I shouldn't have said light painting specifically. I like taking pictures in night an dark situations that's why iso is an issue. I can't get above 400 with my xt really.
 
As much as I love my 40D, you start getting pretty bad noise at 800, so if that's your reason for upgrading, it wouldn't be much of an upgrade. However, if you don't have a good tripod, maybe that would be a better investment for you?
 
The T2i goes up to ISO 6400 and is expandable up to 12800. From what I hear, it does pretty decent up to 1600. You can get a T2i body and a Pixma 13x19 printer for like $660 after rebate on bhphoto.com.Aside from that, the T2i is $619 new and you could surely find a used one for $400-500. Its not a pro body, so if you plan on having more money to upgrade to a pro body in the future, then go with the lens. Then again, that is not a pro lens either. The T2i ( compared to the 40D ) doesn't have a magnesium body, it has a slightly slower FPS rate and it can only go to 1/4000 of a second as opposed to 1/8000. However, it will produce better images in the right hands due to its higher resolution and better noise handling.
 
Even though the ISO is adjustable to ISO 6400, doesn't mean that ISO 6400 is actually usable.

As always when using a high ISO, exposure has to be nailed.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom