40D shutter noise?

boomersgot3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.candacehartphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok So I just purchased the 40D and I have to say I am impressed. I was going to purchase the 5d and after trying it out I didn't notice a whole lot of difference so I decided to go for the 40d. I love it. ..... Except the shutter seems to be pretty noisey. Anyone else notice this? I just can't see using this at my wedding the 17th as it would be really distracting during a wedding. Does anyone else notice this or should I call Canon?
Thanks!!

I noticed it, but I kind of like it...my other one was as silent as the (lack of) wind, so I like the fact that there's some noise involved with this one. That said...I can see where you're coming from. I know there's the (I think it's called) mirror lock-up option where it will take the frame but then keep the mirror up so it doesn't 'snap' back down or something like that until you let go of the shutter release...which might allow you the chance to cough to cover it up?

I will look into that. I have the 300 as well and it is very quiet too. I am really hoping I can find a way to quiet it down. This is only my 3rd wedding and this one is fairly large and I don't want to ruin the video they are making with hundreds of CLICKS! KWIM

The 20D, 30D & apparently the 40D have sacrificed some shutter noise for a faster shooting rate. I remember that a lot of people complained about the noise of the 20D when it came out.

I don't think it's that bad, it just seems really loud when you are used to something quieter. Unless it's dead silent at the wedding (usually isn't) the noise shouldn't be a problem.

I honestly think the shutter noise of all the Canon's I've heard is annoying as hell. I like the Nikon shutter noise much better...lol. It actually sounds like a real camera.
I personally would have went with the 5D because of the FF, but still the 40D is a good choice. perhaps there's articles found through google that deal with the shutter noise?

I actually have no problems with the noise on the 40D. Granted i just dumped my 20D, so the upgrade in lower-noise was significant. It's way quieter than before, so i'm all for it. No longer scares the wildlife away from a quarter mile out. :)

The only thing I can think of is the mirror-lock thing (or whatever it's actually called)...other than that, I don't think so, or else we'd all have it on that setting anyway

Apparently the 40D has a positive mirror action both up and down, as opposed to just a passive springing on the rebound, for greater speed. Sort of like the desmodromic (sp?) valve action on a Ducati. Maybe this makes it a bit noisier that it would otherwise be. Myself, I don't find it a problem but I don't do much spy v. spy type of shooting.

Well I had my 40D at the church today to test the noise and I think it will be Ok I stood at the door and had everyone listen at the alter. I told them to see how many shots I took. I took 7 and several people said I took 1 some said 2. That was with only 8 people in the church. I am sure when there are 200 with a few children no one will hear. I was just shocked to see how loud it was compared to the 30D. It is a good Camera though. I really like it. The larger Screen makes it soo much easier to tell your focus points! I love this camera!!

Most reactions

Back