Discussion in 'People Photography' started by YoungPhotoGirl, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungPhotoGirl

YoungPhotoGirl No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. chris

chris No longer a newbie, moving up!

They don't look very professional to me, the first has a distracting light area at the top left side and nearly all the feet have been cut off in the others. I think you need to take more care in framing your subjects.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    On most of these, there is too much top space above the subjects, and as Chris wrote above, these do not look professional. "Set photography rules" are based on a centuries-old idea that the person or persons in a portrait will be shown in a flattering manner, which typically has meant including their feet and footwear when showing people in full-length poses. Crop either higher, or lower, and these would all be better shots to a certain degree.

Shot #2 has a lot of top space, and has an inelegantly-handled bottom edge. This type o five-child pose is missing the feet, and the footwear, that defines the outfits of the kids, and shows that they are so small, they are posed on a posing prop or bench or box. This is a classic, traditional type of photo,and there are a few guidelines on how to handle the bottom edge of the portrait; the last shot has the same basic compositional problem: the feet are cut off in the composition, the oldest boy's hands are awkwardly encircling the little girls' torso and that of the littlest boy, and to boot, his face is blocked by that of the boy he's forcing to stay in position. This is not a professionally-posed type of group portrait.

In shot #1, the two small children are shown in a location, standing, and are shown full-body, feet and shoes included. However, i shot #3, the feet are awkwardly cut off at the ankles, leaving two, standing children without a visible means of support, sort of "floating" within the frame; this is a major mistake in any type of classic pose, be it a painting, drawing, or photograph. Either crop them higher, or include the feet and shoes. The way they are amputated at the ankles is not a "unique" image, but instead it looks like an unforced error, to use a baseball term.

It is not as you write,that "everyone is different and has a different eye", but instead, there are literally tens of millions of trained photographers,across the world, who can spot this error for what it is. This type of posing error in three shots out of four constitutes what's politely referred to as an "incomplete pose", meaning that a critical part of the pose, is missing. If you want C&C, my C&C would be as Chris writes above, to use more care in the framing of the groups you photograph.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't argue with the framing comments above, but I will say that these (all of yours) show better in a larger size. I went to your website where the photos look better, albeit the framing issue as mentioned.

The one criticism I have is in your choice of lens. A wide lens is probably not the best for portraiture, considering you could get better separation and a more normal angle of view by using a longer lens.

The light is quite nice in #1 & #3, but could use some improvement in #2 & #4.

#2 all faces are showing nicely, but in #4 the oldest boy is nearly hidden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very "Professional" and adult behavior. If your photos don't get gushed over the entire post gets deleted. If you're going to ask for C&C then that's what you'll get. Take the good with the bad or don't ask at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. YoungPhotoGirl

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Woah.... calm down lol.
    I got some cc and have some things to consider now so deleted my images so i don't get bombarded with the same comments.
    Why do you have so much of a problem with that. .

7. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It can appear as a negative reaction when posts suddenly get deleted without warning.

Personally I would leave any photo's intact and write a post outlining that you would like to wait on further feedback until you have had an opportunity to process and practice what has already been suggested. Then you'd be ready for a second look or have a new image where a feedback on your improvements and places to continue improving.

This keeps with the flow of a thread and aids in the learning of others that find the thread days, weeks, years later.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    14963276_1339441749423217_8170214013423391696_n[1].jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. YoungPhotoGirl

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    So,YoungPhotoGirl, you pulled the photos, pulled the text and comments you had written, and now the post has been re-titled to something that begins with a "dot", so it cannot be saved unless forum members re-name the post...

Besides yanking your O.P. and its four photos, you also pulled your comments in your follow-up, the comments defending the photos,and telling us that other people have bad ideas [ what you pejoratively referred to as "set photography rules"] about how to shoot formal portraits...

Deleting not only your original post and photos,but also deleting your second post in the thread, telling Chris and others that we're all following along with herd-like ideas about photos...

Not the expected behavior, but I understand it. Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things! No big thing, as far as I'm concerned. You're able to edit your posts as you see fit.

11. YoungPhotoGirl

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What a load of ****. I said that sometimes it's good to break photography rules (and that I did so intentionally for these images) as it makes photographers unique. I never suggested anything about either of you.
    I still appreciated the cc and have taken it on board.
    And the whole point of removing it was so i don't get a crazy amount of replies saying the exact same thing (which had already been done 3x in those short moments).
    Jeez get over it... this isn't snowflake city and i think its ridiculously immature that it bothers any of you so much.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. YoungPhotoGirl

Photos NOT OK to edit

Pretty much seems like your upset for either
    1. No reason
    2. No reason
    3. No reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.