---

Tyg

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
---

Last edited:
Why does the viewfinder on a digital SLR go dim when the camera's battery has been removed?

How does battery power make the viewfinder mechanism brighter on a digital reflex camera?
My two DSLRs have optical viewfinders, and they don't darken with no battery. Yours must have an electronic viewfinder.

It seems to be the AF point overlay in the viewfinder.
That probably explains it. I have a Fujifilm S3 Pro (DX) and Df, but never use autofocus.

Just out of interest, why would you need the viewfinder while changing the battery....??

I wouldn't need it. I have picked up a camera on occasion forgetting that the battery is removed, put the viewfinder to my eye and thought hmm thats weird, its all dim. Never thought to mention it to any other photographers and ask if someone knows why various DSLRs do this without power.
Maybe they do it to remind you to put the battery in before you leave your house. ;)

Reactions: Tyg
The D750 does it, too. My first thought was the shutter stopping down, but I don't hear the the shutter "swoop" sound like I do with the DOF preview.

Interesting. My D800 does it. Does it with no lens. Actually if you look inside the body at the focusing screen, it darkens when the battery is removed! Some sort of active brightening of the focusing screen, but I'm boggled as to how it actually works.

I did a little searching and it seems to be due to the normally transparent LCD overlay (focus points, optional grid). The LCD apparently goes dark without power.

Most reactions

Back