4x5 Paper Negatives

nightmaniac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks,

I am new in here and I just recently Acquired a Speed graphic and Crown graphic. Before starting to shoot with expensive film, I wanted to try and get more at ease at using these camera by starting with photographic paper in it instead. I read that I should shoot these at around 6 iso and I will try it like that. The problem I am having is that I no longer have a darkroom right now since it's in renovation. Did anybody in this group ever tried developing paper in a paterson tank? Is so, is it possible to use a Rodinal mix? Something like Rodinal 1+100 or etc? Please explain to me what you have tried and what would be a good method to develop paper in paterson tank. Thank you guys!

If you did develop paper in a developping tank, I would like to see the result!

I've never developed paper in a Paterson tank, but I have developed paper prints (Harmon Direct Positive paper from a pinhole camera) without a proper darkroom. I've got a bathroom with no window, so I just bought a red light, sealed up the bathroom door (and made sure the hallway light was off), and developed in some Tupperware. Worked fine.

Can't help you with the developer, though. I use Caffenol and don't have experience with traditional developers.

Edited: Oh yeah, you asked for examples!

Day 350 - Snowy Caddy pinhole by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Oil cans by limrodrigues, on Flickr

You can develope 5x4 negaive in a paterson so i dont see why you can't develop paper, try rodinal 1+100 for 1 hour you have nothing to loose

"You can develope 5x4 negative in a paterson so i dont see why you can't develop paper, try rodinal 1+100 for 1 hour you have nothing to loose"

Following the link that Limr sent me, it says that paper develop at around 1/5th or 1/10th of the time normally used on film. So I guess 1+100 would be 10 minutes or 5 minutes. I will probably try it until I find the right concentration and time. And will try rodinal 1+20 like they suggest. This will be trial and error but it will be fun.

Ill keep you posted

"You can develope 5x4 negative in a paterson so i dont see why you can't develop paper, try rodinal 1+100 for 1 hour you have nothing to loose"

Following the link that Limr sent me, it says that paper develop at around 1/5th or 1/10th of the time normally used on film. So I guess 1+100 would be 10 minutes or 5 minutes. I will probably try it until I find the right concentration and time. And will try rodinal 1+20 like they suggest. This will be trial and error but it will be fun.

Ill keep you posted

That's the spirit! :) Looking forward to seeing the results.

I still think it would work for 1 hour I might get some paper and try it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back