5 Blue Downers - April POTM

could you share your processing?

wonderful

Hi Maria, I have mixed feelings about post processing. I've been working on my editing methods for 10 years now and after a lot of hard work have finally established my own look and style. Therefore I'm a little reluctant to share all. I know it's a little selfish but if I hadn't figured things out for myself then my photography would not be what it is. Therefore my advice is experiment!

The price we pay sometimes for a good shot.Great Portrait.

I'll have a look at the composition. TBH I hadn't noticed the left positioning of the subject. This is an uncropped D810 image so plenty of space to work with!

wonderful

Hi Maria, I have mixed feelings about post processing. I've been working on my editing methods for 10 years now and after a lot of hard work have finally established my own look and style. Therefore I'm a little reluctant to share all. I know it's a little selfish but if I hadn't figured things out for myself then my photography would not be what it is. Therefore my advice is experiment!
ok

wonderful

ok
No photographer is going to be able to mimic your style, even with your techniques being used. No one has your taste, or your vision, or has gone through the life experience that has helped you develop your art and style over the last 10 years.

wonderful

ok
No photographer is going to be able to mimic your style, even with your techniques being used. No one has your taste, or your vision, or has gone through the life experience that has helped you develop your art and style over the last 10 years.

Totally agree, that is why there is little point in sharing the post processing techniques that motivate my style and aesthetic as it will inevitably be different to another persons. That's why I firmly believe that people should experiment in order to discover their own approach.

wonderful

ok

Totally agree, that is why there is little point in sharing the post processing techniques that motivate my style and aesthetic as it will inevitably be different to another persons. That's why I firmly believe that people should experiment in order to discover their own approach.
I firmly disagree. Learning an effective editing technique from another very skilled photographer and retoucher really helped me develop my own style; it was actually crucial to it and was a major turning point in taking my work to a new level of quality. Because it was such a major turning point for me and because it was the catalyst to a great deal of improvement in my art, I believe learning and teaching new techniques is incredibly helpful and educational for both the photographer learning something new and for the one who is teaching. I'm all about sharing that knowledge because of how grateful I am personally for the knowledge that was shared with me. It helped me love the craft even more and become incredibly passionate about it.

Last edited:

wonderful

ok

I firmly disagree. Learning an effective editing technique from another very skilled photographer and retoucher really helped me develop my own style; it was actually crucial to it and was a major turning point in taking my work to a new level of quality. Because it was such a major turning point for me and because it was the catalyst to a great deal of improvement in my art, I believe learning and teaching new techniques is incredibly helpful and educational for both the photographer learning something new and for the one who is teaching. I'm all about sharing that knowledge because of how grateful I am personally for the knowledge that was shared with me. It helped me love the craft even more and become incredibly passionate about it.

After many years of working independantly to develop my photography and editing technique i cant really convey enough how satisfying and rewarding it felt when everything finally clicked. That's why I would encourage others to experiment for themselves to develop their own style.

It's great to hear that you were able to develop your style with the assistance of another photographer. I'd be interested in seeing the work of the other photographer.

Cheers

wonderful

ok

After many years of working independantly to develop my photography and editing technique i cant really convey enough how satisfying and rewarding it felt when everything finally clicked. That's why I would encourage others to experiment for themselves to develop their own style.

It's great to hear that you were able to develop your style with the assistance of another photographer. I'd be interested in seeing the work of the other photographer.

Cheers
Yes experimenting and learning on your own is part of the process, but getting help from others along the way doesn't discredit anyone's hard work. I've been doing this now for close to ten years as well, and I can promise you I've put in the work, regardless of whether I got a new technique or guidance from more skilled photographers along the way, and it was just as rewarding and satisfying to get to the place I'm at in my career.

I learned a great deal from interning for fashion photographer Michael Thompson, who worked under Irving Penn for many years. Michael learned a great deal from Penn before I learned from Michael. Even though we've gotten guidance, we still put in the hard work to develop a unique style that is different from those who taught us (but still majorly influenced).

Last edited:
ok

Cheers
Yes experimenting and learning on your own is part of the process, but getting help from others along the way doesn't discredit anyone's hard work. I've been doing this now for close to ten years as well, and I can promise you I've put in the work, regardless of whether I got a new technique or guidance from more skilled photographers along the way, and it was just as rewarding and satisfying to get to the place I'm at in my career.

I learned a great deal from interning for fashion photographer Michael Thompson, who worked under Irving Penn for many years. Michael learned a great deal from Penn before I learned from Michael. Even though we've gotten guidance, we still put in the hard work to develop a unique style that is different from those who taught us (but still majorly influenced).

There can be no right or wrong response to this discussion as we have both been influenced from difference experiences and obtain satisfaction in different ways.

I love the work of Penn and can clearly see how he has had an obvious influence on thompsons's style.

Cheers

truth

Most reactions

New Topics

Back