5 Blue Downers - April POTM

could you share your processing?

wonderful

Hi Maria, I have mixed feelings about post processing. I've been working on my editing methods for 10 years now and after a lot of hard work have finally established my own look and style. Therefore I'm a little reluctant to share all. I know it's a little selfish but if I hadn't figured things out for myself then my photography would not be what it is. Therefore my advice is experiment!
ok
No photographer is going to be able to mimic your style, even with your techniques being used. No one has your taste, or your vision, or has gone through the life experience that has helped you develop your art and style over the last 10 years.

Totally agree, that is why there is little point in sharing the post processing techniques that motivate my style and aesthetic as it will inevitably be different to another persons. That's why I firmly believe that people should experiment in order to discover their own approach.
and how they will experiment and try different things if no one is willing to share their knowledge? I highly doubt that any of us would learn this much by ourselves and I doubt that you figured out everything by yourself without seeing and exploring other people's work.
If you have just PS in front of you without any tutorial, you will be able to figure out some stuff on your own but you would need a lot more time and experimentation.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion and there's not much point in this discussion.

wonderful

Hi Maria, I have mixed feelings about post processing. I've been working on my editing methods for 10 years now and after a lot of hard work have finally established my own look and style. Therefore I'm a little reluctant to share all. I know it's a little selfish but if I hadn't figured things out for myself then my photography would not be what it is. Therefore my advice is experiment!
ok
No photographer is going to be able to mimic your style, even with your techniques being used. No one has your taste, or your vision, or has gone through the life experience that has helped you develop your art and style over the last 10 years.

Totally agree, that is why there is little point in sharing the post processing techniques that motivate my style and aesthetic as it will inevitably be different to another persons. That's why I firmly believe that people should experiment in order to discover their own approach.
and how they will experiment and try different things if no one is willing to share their knowledge? I highly doubt that any of us would learn this much by ourselves and I doubt that you figured out everything by yourself without seeing and exploring other people's work.
If you have just PS in front of you without any tutorial, you will be able to figure out some stuff on your own but you would need a lot more time and experimentation.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion and there's not much point in this discussion.

Of course I explored other peoples work. I've sat in libraries reading books on renaissance painting techniques and studied the lighting techniques of renaissance painters and those from the Romantic period like Gericault. I've closely examined the colour pallete of painters like Rembrandt to create my own custom palletes and brushes in photoshop. These are the people who have inspired me and using my own abilities and drive to learn have managed to translate the elements of their work that I admire into my own photographic style.

You asked me to share my post processing technique and I politely declined to do that for reasons that I am perfectly entitled to hold. However, now you're criticising me for the response that I gave. I'd understand if I'd posted my image in one of the 'beginner' or 'techniques' forum but I didn't. I posted my image in this forum as I just wanted to share my work.

I'm pretty new to this forum and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the attitude.

Of course I explored other peoples work. I've sat in libraries reading books on renaissance painting techniques and studied the lighting techniques of renaissance painters and those from the Romantic period like Gericault. I've closely examined the colour pallete of painters like Rembrandt to create my own custom palletes and brushes in photoshop. These are the people who have inspired me and using my own abilities and drive to learn have managed to translate the elements of their work that I admire into my own photographic style.
I appreciate you shared this

You asked me to share my post processing technique and I politely declined to do that for reasons that I am perfectly entitled to hold. However, now you're criticising me for the response that I gave. I'd understand if I'd posted my image in one of the 'beginner' or 'techniques' forum but I didn't. I posted my image in this forum as I just wanted to share my work.
When you declined to share your pp technique I said simply "Ok". I didn't criticize the fact you declined, I responded on your other post, discussing different points of our view. I responded on what you said here

I'm pretty new to this forum and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the attitude.
Don't allow our disagreement about sharing pp work ruin tpf for you.
We're not that bad here, we're just used to share.
Your photography is really good and tpf needs good photographers.

wonderful

ok

She did no such thing, nor did I. This forum is meant to help educate each other and for discussion. If someone asks about your technique and you're so protective of it that you refuse to share, we also have the right to share our opinion as to why we think that's unreasonable and in your own words disappointing.

Last edited:
I am quite taken aback that my personal reason for
ok

She did no such thing, nor did I. This forum is meant to help educate each other and for discussion. If someone asks about your technique and you're so protective of it that you refuse to share, we also have the right to share our opinion as to why we think that's unreasonable and in your own words disappointing.

I just posted my photo on here to share. I was asked whether I wanted to share my post processing technique and I politely declined to do so. I am
ok

I posted in this forum in order to share my work. I was asked whether I would share my post processing technique and I politely declined. Following that I have been dragged into this pointless debate about attitudes to knowledge sharing despite the fact that I’m under no obligation to share my technique and nor have I posted in a forum where that would be expected. That being said, if somebody asks, how do curves work, or what are the benefits of LAB mode etc. then I’d be more than happy to assist.

If you have any comments/feedback about my photo then that’s fine, although if you want to discuss the merits of knowledge sharing / post processing then it might be better to take it to a different forum.

Cheers,

I appreciate you shared this

When you declined to share your pp technique I said simply "Ok". I didn't criticize the fact you declined, I responded on your other post, discussing different points of our view. I responded on what you said here

Don't allow our disagreement about sharing pp work ruin tpf for you.
We're not that bad here, we're just used to share.
Your photography is really good and tpf needs good photographers.

Hey, no problem at all - I'm sticking around :)

I just posted my photo on here to share. I was asked whether I wanted to share my post processing technique and I politely declined to do so. I am

I posted in this forum in order to share my work. I was asked whether I would share my post processing technique and I politely declined. Following that I have been dragged into this pointless debate about attitudes to knowledge sharing despite the fact that I’m under no obligation to share my technique and nor have I posted in a forum where that would be expected. That being said, if somebody asks, how do curves work, or what are the benefits of LAB mode etc. then I’d be more than happy to assist.

If you have any comments/feedback about my photo then that’s fine, although if you want to discuss the merits of knowledge sharing / post processing then it might be better to take it to a different forum.

Cheers,
It's simply been a discussion in a discussion forum. Nobody dragged you into anything. If it came across that you were being criticized, that wasn't the intention. You should know that post-production is often discussed in the People Photography forum because it's very relevant to the subject matter, so this is the right forum for such discussions.

Honestly speaking the only point I started taking an attitude with you was because you said you were disappointed with this forum, because we were discussing a topic that we simply disagreed on. I apologize for saying you were being unreasonable for not sharing your processing, I was just frustrated that my disagreement with you was taken as criticism and attitude.

Last edited:

Cheers,
It's simply been a discussion dude, and this is a forum where discussion happens. Nobody dragged you into anything. If it came across that you were being criticized, that wasn't the intention. I simply thought we were having a discussion up until you said you were disappointed in the attitude of this forum when no attitude was being given.

Dan, we've all moved on.

Cheers,
It's simply been a discussion in a discussion forum. Nobody dragged you into anything. If it came across that you were being criticized, that wasn't the intention. You should know that post-production is often discussed in the People Photography forum because it's very relevant to the subject matter, so this is the right forum for such discussions.

Honestly speaking the only point I started taking an attitude with you was because you said you were disappointed with this forum, because we were discussing a topic that we simply disagreed on. I apologize for saying you were being unreasonable for not sharing your processing, I was just frustrated that my disagreement with you was taken as criticism and attitude.

No problem - I think this has been done to death so let's just move on :)

Hi people,

Just a big thank you for those who voted my image as POTM. There were a lot of great images that month, so to come out on top of the pile is very humbling.

:)

Most reactions

Back